Best place to buy pine shaving?

I get mine free, in a round about way, that is. I have a wood working shop and I run all my scrape wood throught my planner and that gives me all the shavings I want. Getting free scrap wood isnt that hard to find so if you use a lot of wood shavings why not invest in a wood planner and plane your own. The cost of the planner is pretty high but paying prices that I see on this tread it would pay for itself in no time at all. Just my opinion.
If you live in my area i can provide you wood shaving at a steal.
thanks
Harley

You may look into any shaving manufacturing plants in your area try the reject bags / bad seal and they cant ship. Here in Georgia there is Suncoast bedding in Fitzgerald and Thomasville that sells 10 cb. ft. large flakes for 3.80 plus tax. they are start up bags that the sealer didnt heat up good but they are fine they also have mini flakes

I noticed the pine shavings from TSC look much coarser than the shavings from the pet store.
My bantam has very soft feet, will the shavings poke her and be uncomfortable?
I can only imagine how many eyes are rolling right now
wink.png
but I really want my pullets to be comfortable and the petstore price has really gone up. I wish all my concerns were this silly.

Last edited:
iluv... :

Currently I get mine from Walmart. Usually I'll buy the 2 cu ft which will expand to 4 cu ft for under $8.
I wondering is that cheap or expensive and also where do everyone else get their's from?
I live in the East Bay, so where is the best place to get it from?

You might want to try Concord Feed Store ... many BYC'ers go there

I get mine from Western Farm Center in Santa Rosa ... 4 cubic feet/$8.95
D.gif
The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful.​

We have three guys within a two mile radius that cut and sell fire wood. I have convinced them that they do not really want to spend their precious time cleaning up their wood chips. They agree. I have 3 plastic tarps that I put down on the ground under their sawing areas. When the chips get about 4" deep I go and load it into burlap bags in my pick up and I never run out of good wood chips. I always go when they're not cutting to minimize my disturbance to them. They like it and I like it . . . a true win-win.

OK there are some of you out there saying Ewwww you might get some kind of wood in there that my chickens would not like. Big deal! I have been doing this for 10 years and I don't think I have lost one chicken to foot problems or allergies or whatever.

Last edited:
Well I called up the pet store (Mike Pet Feed?) where I normally get my chicken feed from and ask if they have pine shaving (triple screen mix, whatever this means) by the bale. They said yes, so I went there this weekend and bought some. However compare to other people it seems I am still paying a lot for it. For 1 bale or 7ish cubic feet it's a little over $11. Maybe next time I'll try Concord Feed about their pricing on pine shavings, chick feed, and other supplies.

Thanks everyone for you input and responses.

try to find a saw mill in your area. i have several saw mills around me and they sell a contractors bag full for $2-3.
they usually jam about 30+lbs worth into a contractors bag.

Back
Top Bottom