Best pre-made coop?

It arrived Friday via freight truck. It's very well packed and crated. I'm hoping to get it put together in the next couple of weeks. This weekend I'm leveling out the ground and digging it out to put the hardware cloth under the run. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the run itself--ideas? Should I just put topsoil, or mix it with sand, or plant some grass/clover in there? I'm going to use an idea I found here and get a turtle sandbox with the cover for the dust bathing area.

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 27
I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the run itself--ideas? Should I just put topsoil, or mix it with sand, or plant some grass/clover in there? I'm going to use an idea I found here and get a turtle sandbox with the cover for the dust bathing area.

Anything that gets planted, that doesn't get protected, will get torn up by the chickens, so I wouldn't bother trying to plant anything. Depending on your climate, sand could possibly work, but I think it needs to stay dry to work well. Or if your climate tends to be wetter, some form of litter (wood chips, shavings, grass, garden clippings, dried leaves) works well. I wouldn't do only dirt since there's no easy way to clean it and it'll probably get mucky and smelly over time.

It arrived Friday via freight truck. It's very well packed and crated. I'm hoping to get it put together in the next couple of weeks. This weekend I'm leveling out the ground and digging it out to put the hardware cloth under the run. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the run itself--ideas? Should I just put topsoil, or mix it with sand, or plant some grass/clover in there? I'm going to use an idea I found here and get a turtle sandbox with the cover for the dust bathing area.

I really strongly caution you about putting wire under the run.
Chickens dig DEEP holes when dusting.
Removing litter to use in the garden or just to reduce the amount in the run would risk ripping into the wire. Damaged wire is risking bumble foot.

An apron extending from the sides outward is better on your birds feet while still keeping critters out.

They dig deep holes for who know why...this one is a good 8" deep.
upload_2018-5-16_6-47-21.png

An apron extending from the sides outward is better on your birds feet while still keeping critters out.
Yes^^^

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

I really strongly caution you about putting wire under the run.
Removing litter to use in the garden or just to reduce the amount in the run would risk ripping into the wire. Damaged wire is risking bumble foot.

I would rather not bury it for many reasons, including the above. So if I just put it on the ground extending away from the coop and fasten it down, that should discourage digging?

Anything that gets planted, that doesn't get protected, will get torn up by the chickens, so I wouldn't bother trying to plant anything. Depending on your climate, sand could possibly work, but I think it needs to stay dry to work well. Or if your climate tends to be wetter, some form of litter (wood chips, shavings, grass, garden clippings, dried leaves) works well. I wouldn't do only dirt since there's no easy way to clean it and it'll probably get mucky and smelly over time.
We have lots of options, chips, leaves, etc. Thank you!

that should discourage digging?
It will prevent predators from digging in.....but not the chickens from digging.
I had to put boards up all around the bottom of my run walls on the inside,
because the birds like to dig near the walls and in some places had tunneled under the outside apron....not far enough to actually get out, but still..SMH.

I don't think there is anything wrong with starting with a prefab coop. Some of us just don't know where to start when we've never built anything in our lives. I started with a prefab, ( from backyard chickens ) and it's worked well for me, with 2 hens, for 2 years. Granted, I don't get snow, but this allowed me the time to see what I wanted/needed and make plans and gather materials to build a bigger and better? (remains to be seen, lol) coop myself. You have all summer now to get a larger run completed, and modify and weather proof the prefab to get you through the winter. If it lasts you for a year or two, then you can gather free or cheap materials, like pallets, dog runs, etc,and/or save the funds, to do a good coop later.

I don't think there is anything wrong with starting with a prefab coop. Some of us just don't know where to start when we've never built anything in our lives. I started with a prefab, ( from backyard chickens ) and it's worked well for me, with 2 hens, for 2 years. Granted, I don't get snow, but this allowed me the time to see what I wanted/needed and make plans and gather materials to build a bigger and better? (remains to be seen, lol) coop myself. You have all summer now to get a larger run completed, and modify and weather proof the prefab to get you through the winter. If it lasts you for a year or two, then you can gather free or cheap materials, like pallets, dog runs, etc,and/or save the funds, to do a good coop later.
I like your strategy and that justifies STARTING with a prefab, knowing that it buys you time to modify and/or build a better coop that works for you. --BB

Back
Top Bottom