Best small breed to be around chickens?

I have a twenty year old (seriously) wire haired Dachshund who stands beside the gate and howls at my chickens. He would probably hurt one given the opportunity. My granddaughter's schnauzer, on the other hand, has managed to access the chicken yard on occasion. He has never shown any interest in the chickens, just their poop. My son has a rescue pug mix who couldn't care less about the chickens.
Good luck. I hope you find the perfect dog for your family

My Dachshunds 3 of them can be around chickens once they mature and don't peep any longer even my OEGBs that fly over into their back yard. But never can they be around anything that peeps.

Miniature poodle? Sheltie? Bichon Frise? (my grandparents have one. He's a very nice dog, even around the neighbours' chickens) Corgi?

Not so sure about poodles (of any size)...they were originally hunting dogs and some can have a high prey drive. My parents had a toy poodle that would probably have loved to chase chickens. When they would go visit family in the country he would catch rabbits as big as he was and drag them home! And herding dogs like corgis are kind of a mixed bag. I've had several corgis and one was the type to chase anything that moved, while another one was incredibly gentle and curious about little things that could have been seen as "snacks".

Back
Top Bottom