Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters
Goldendoodle. My neighbor has one and it seems to me they got the best of both breeds (golden retriever and poodle). https://www.fivebarks.com/goldendoodle-temperament/
There are a lot of issue with the ethical breeding of doodles. I have yet to find a breeder who breeds doodles and is ethical, many people question if it is even ethical to breed designer crossbreeds at all

I know you want a bigger dog breed but I simply can't resist saying a Jack Russell. They were bred to be hunting dogs - yet are the sweetest most adorable things ever! If you are thinking of getting two dogs though, either another Jack Russell or a labrodor. Labs, like others have said make great hunting dogs as well. Just saying NOT a German Shepard... they are very full on and unless you give them the specific training fitted specifically for hunting, you're going to be knacked by the end of the day. Hope this helps!! I can do some research if needed!

Whether truely an Australian breed or not, we do have Australian shepherds here and they are called Australian shepherd/Aussies. As Spot said Koolies are different.

I had a family member who had an Aussie and know someone who has/had and breeds Koolies.
We do indeed have "Australian Shepherd" dogs here.....that were all imported from the US. They would of went to the US (1800's) as just a working dog and not as a breed. No one truly knows the history of what dogs went to the US and developed this breed as there were dogs from UK, Aus/NZ and Spain etc. The only dog in Australia before the "Aussies" were imported to Australia that look even close to them is a Koolie. So a couple of hundred years and an unknown history does have them as a different breed but to call them an "Australian Shepherd" is a flat out lie.

There are a lot of issue with the ethical breeding of doodles. I have yet to find a breeder who breeds doodles and is ethical, many people question if it is even ethical to breed designer crossbreeds at all
I don't know about that but I do know that my neighbor has been very happy with the breed and I love when he brings his current one over to visit, she's got to be about the sweetest and cutest dog I've ever met. There are always going to be disreputable breeders no matter if it's dogs, cats, chickens etc.

I don't know about that but I do know that my neighbor has been very happy with the breed and I love when he brings his current one over to visit, she's got to be about the sweetest and cutest dog I've ever met. There are always going to be disreputable breeders no matter if it's dogs, cats, chickens etc.
Yes there are bad breeders no matter the breed or species, Doodles are a bit different.

as I said I have yet to find a ethical doodle breeder or even club. Very few doodle breeders do sports with their dogs or have enough knowledge about structure, temperament and genetic, its very common for them to give misinformation about the doodle coat and coat care, as well as trying to predict how the puppies will turn out, then telling the buyer thats what they will be like

since the breeders can’t show, do no sports and have very little knowledge about genetic health and structure. They aren’t working towards producing dogs that are healthy and have a stable temperament. Its very common to see them mixing a new breed with a poodle they don’t any reason to except money

Thats the thing if you give any breed what they need they will sleep most of the day and look easy. Most gsp I have seen have need a lot of exercise and training, they did not look like easy dogs

all puppies can be mouthy, at least retrievers are bred to have a soft mouth unlike GSDs 😅

I have seen Labs doing search and rescue, truffle hunting, etc so I think they should be fine with tracking. They may not be the best but they will be probably easier to live with and gain dog experiences with. OP did say they wanted a second dog at some point so they could get a different breed once the lab is old enough, they would then have more dog experience and will know if they can handle a higher maintenance breed
All good points lol

German Koolies here have a lot of variety of colours and coat lengths. A guy I worked on a sheep/cattle station with had a pure bred Koolie that looked like a pure bred Border Collie. Purely long haired black and white with no Merle at all. There would have only been a select few taken to the US and then breeders would have bred a standard. Growing up working on farms here there was no such thing as an "Australian Shepherd", which is kind of funny as the breed apparently came from here 😄
Aussies came from the western US working cattle. No clue why they chose the name they did.

We do indeed have "Australian Shepherd" dogs here.....that were all imported from the US. They would of went to the US (1800's) as just a working dog and not as a breed. No one truly knows the history of what dogs went to the US and developed this breed as there were dogs from UK, Aus/NZ and Spain etc. The only dog in Australia before the "Aussies" were imported to Australia that look even close to them is a Koolie. So a couple of hundred years and an unknown history does have them as a different breed but to call them an "Australian Shepherd" is a flat out lie.
Oh interesting!

Back
Top Bottom