1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best time to buy chicks from hatcheries

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sarahr0612, Sep 3, 2013.

1. sarahr0612

sarahr0612 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    Ok so my husband and I decided to buy more chicks in December.. BUT I've been looking at chicks online at hatcheries and all the kind I want are sold out until spring :( and I really don't want to buy " straight runs" because I already have a rooster and don't want another right now. When do you guys buy your chicks? I want silkies and cochins and the special breeds so I guess that's why i'm having a hard time finding some available.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They do the bulk of their selling in the spring, and this is when they run out.

3. sarahr0612

sarahr0612 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    looks like i'll just have to be patient then! thanks

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The fall and early winter is when birds do very little laying and massive molting occurs. Hatcheries rest the birds and change them out. Old stock is disposed and new stock is readied for the spring breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by