Best use of dead duck

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
Without going into too many details my geese maimed my pair of ducks last night to the point where I put both of them down this morning.
The female duck was not too badly injured (respectively) and I will part her out for meat tonight. However the drake was near death when I shot him and dont feel comfortable eating him.
What would you do? My thoughts are either cat food or baiting raccoon traps. It's been a crummy day.

Sorry you had to put them down. What does duck taste like?
Duck tastes amazing if it's cooked medium rare or rare. Like dry aged venison or the very best steak. This one I skinned so will use the meat as part of a gumbo. If you're looking for gourmet duck recipes google Hank Shaw. He's got a fantastic collection of recipes (and a book) for ducks and geese.

Without going into too many details my geese maimed my pair of ducks last night to the point where I put both of them down this morning.
The female duck was not too badly injured (respectively) and I will part her out for meat tonight. However the drake was near death when I shot him and dont feel comfortable eating him.
What would you do? My thoughts are either cat food or baiting raccoon traps. It's been a crummy day.
:oldThat sounds like a "sucks to be me" kind of a day! I'm no help, I know! You could process some geese...... just saying:pop

I ended up parting up the drake to bait traps (no luck yet) The female duck was butchered for gumbo and the carcass put in the crockpot. The cats have been very, very happy with the duck stock and scraps.

Duck tastes amazing if it's cooked medium rare or rare. Like dry aged venison or the very best steak. This one I skinned so will use the meat as part of a gumbo. If you're looking for gourmet duck recipes google Hank Shaw. He's got a fantastic collection of recipes (and a book) for ducks and geese.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom