Best Watering System

I just stay old school and use a black rubber pan.

I can see at a glance if it needs to be refilled.

When it freezes solid you kick it up off the ground, turn it over, step on it, the ice cube pops out. Put it upright and fill with water.

Easy peasy, no worries about it working.

If it freezes over in under 3 hours then I put in a de-icer.

I have been thinking about nipples (OK, that didn't come out quite right, but y'll know what I'm talking about) however I was wondering how to keep them from freezing up during the cold winter nights. Yes, it does get that cold in South Carolina. How about some links to those nipple heaters your talking about?

I have been thinking about nipples (OK, that didn't come out quite right, but y'll know what I'm talking about) however I was wondering how to keep them from freezing up during the cold winter nights. Yes, it does get that cold in South Carolina. How about some links to those nipple heaters your talking about?
I use nipples and have kept them thawed even when we got down to -22. Horizontal nipples stay thawed better than the vertical ones. The vertical ones can have a little bit of water stay in them that freezes. I use a stock tank deicer in my container with the horizontal nipples. My container is a tote with lid. Others use a big jug or a bucket with lid. Some use a submersible fish tank heater in their container. Vertical nipples can be purchased at most feed stores. The horizontal nipples can be purchased through Amazon or Ebay.

If you just scroll down the thread list in the section Feeding and Watering Your Flock you will find several threads on waterers with pictures. I have never heard of a heater that just heats the nipples.

I had some of the cup's on some 5 gallon plastic water jugs. It was not the best connection and they always leaked. This fall I broke down and bought one of the double wall founts with a heated base. Best thing I ever did. I got a 5 gallon one so now I only need to add water about every 5 days or so. This past weekend air temps were -12 and wind chills were -25 and no frozen water. Last year I was out every day hauling water. In my opinion it was well worth the money. Even if I had to buy a new base every year (which I know I wont)

I have a 5gal bucket with horizontal nipples for my 31 chickens. I put a stock tank de-icer in the bucket, and put the lid on, works great.

My DW fount has frozen entirely during nights of "just" +20F. Maybe a metal container w/horizontal nips that I can rest on a heating base during the colder nights? That might work.
That might work. If it doesn't you now know of other ways to keep your water thawed. For my system the tote cost about $10, the nipples are another $5-$10 depending on how many are used, and the stock tank deicer was $42. However, that stock tank deicer has lasted for 4 years and is pretty energy efficient. It comes on at 35 degrees and turns off at about 45 degrees. I would bet that those stock tank deicers go on sale in the spring when the feed stores are getting rid of their winter inventory.

I just stay old school and use a black rubber pan.

I can see at a glance if it needs to be refilled.

When it freezes solid you kick it up off the ground, turn it over, step on it, the ice cube pops out. Put it upright and fill with water.

Easy peasy, no worries about it working.

If it freezes over in under 3 hours then I put in a de-icer.

i use the rubber pans as well, easy. i dont do the de ice though i just fill it up another time or 2 my coop isn't far. i also feed fodder which has alot of water in it.

Back
Top Bottom