Best way to crossbreed ducks for egg production

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
The genetics forum doesn't seem to be overly busy so I thought I'd post here too :D.
I have a small flock of mixed ducks which I will be hatching from this year; mostly just for fun but I would also like to focus on some traits. I am still pretty new to genetics and so far have only learned about colour genetics.
Is good egg production something that is consistently passed down by parents to offspring? If I breed the hens hatched by the best layers to the drakes hatched by the best layers, would that keep the trait going or are there other things I also need to focus on for that trait?

Bump!

I could swear I'd read somewhere that egg production in ducks is passed down by the Drake but now, I can't find a source to confirm that and would really appreciate some input.

Case in point, there is a seller nearby who has a Pekin drake over Golden 300 and Khaki Campbell hens. If egg production is passed by the drake, then this breeder is producing birds that will likely be larger and much less productive than the hens.

So if it's true, than you could theoretically start with any hens you like. Then, depending on your color preference, pair them with a Khaki Campbell, Golden 300, or White Layer. The second generation hens should produce eggs more like the father's breed than the mother's

Eggs though... What if I wanted BYM ducks that lay 280-320 eggs per year AND >50% blue or green layers?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom