Best Way to Heat? at 60 below zero!

Deep litter method is a good way to add a little warmth, and have nice composted material for the garden in spring. Think smaller when it comes to coops , as far as sleeping area. Chickens metabolism is very high. Their hearts beat 200 plus beats a minute. With body temps over 104 degrees F. Each hen gives off about the same amount of heat as a 10 watt bulb .

What is heat tape?
Heat tape is what is similar to heat cable used to wrap water pipes to keep them from freezing. There's a cord you can plug into a 110V or 220V outlet and a trace of resistance wire inside the tape that heats up. There are a few types and dramatically difference wattages per square inch. Heat cable is also used to prevent water draining into roof guttering from freezing and causing a dam.
https://oemheaters.com/topic/heating-tape
There is also another product called flex watt heat tape used in terrariums. I've used it in incubators.
http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape

Last edited:
Do you have other large livestock - cows, goats etc? If it were me I would look at communal living for everyone. The body heat generated from all keeps all warm. In that environment I would not duplicate efforts in different housings. I would just throw them all together, shut the door and walk away letting them learn how to get along with each other.

I like that idea but caution that all those disparate animals will put off a lot of humidity so ventilation will be all the more important.

I like that idea but caution that all those disparate animals will put off a lot of humidity so ventilation will be all the more important.

Yup. If you look at true Amish barns they were built true board and batten style. The edges of 2 boards were set no further away than half the width of the board. A third board was set on the inside framework centered over the gap. This allowed for maximum ventilation with no drafts. Also made perfect places for hornets to build their nests.

When we are talking -20F and colder, ventilation is no longer that much of an issue. Yeah, it still matters... but you do not want as much venting as you would at warmer temps.

living that far north I've heard of people switching to sand for bedding since that significantly reduces the chances of fire, about half a foot of sand is also very easy on upkeep as well

if someone wanted to go all out you could in addition to the sand, provide a tiny wood stove. even if properly installed though i would still put a cage enclosed around it and the stack thru the roof to keep the girls away.

i agree, in such cold areas while using sand in an unheated coop. any condensation makes the sand a real bear the put up with, and if you have a water fowl up? hello sandstone floors.
personally, i use straw except in the outer hutches where sand always saves the day.

it's a tad bit nippy down here but could never even shake a stick at Alaska
stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom