Best way to introduce buff color into a flock? (New chicken breed)

Pics

Enigmatic Gale

Songster
5 Years
Jul 28, 2018
Good day too all,

I've been interested in a project for quite some time and finally committed to seeing it through!

The goal of the project:
To create a bird that is buff/lemon cuckoo in color, has a long tail, lays blue/green eggs and is able to go broody.

Brids that I have at the moment:
Male Yokohama (6 months old)
Male Niederrheiner (3 months old)
Female Silver Phoenix (6 months old and broody)
2 Female Buff Rocks (3 years old non setters)
1 Whiting True Green Female (3 months old)

Brids that I'll have access to this year:
Schijndelaar (Seller has eggs in the incubator)
Female Whiting True Blue (6 months old. Blue egg confirmed)

So far I have breed the Yokohama to the Buff Rocks, in order to test if he is Silver or Gold based. His fertility isn't the highest but I have 1 egg in the incubator that has been candled and confirmed to have a chick. Fingers crossed, it'll hatch around January 19th.

I tried mating the Yokohama to the Phoenix but they just end up fighting each other for some reason. I might consider artificial insemination for them. Although my real goal is to breed the Niederrheiner to the Phoenix, for gold based females that are barred. The Niederrheiner will also mate with the Buff Rocks, to create buff barred rocks. And the Whiting True Green, I'll select any buffed colored females that lay blue/green eggs.

Now here's where the problems arise.

My understanding is that you need several genes for the buff color to "present itself". I've also read that Buff Rocks and Buff Minorcas have a recessive buff.

My question is, what would be the best way to introduce buff into this line. Or has anyone had experience introducing buff into a line?

Thank you for your time! I'll leave you with a picture of our pretty boy Niederrheiner!

Attachments

• 723781ED-7398-4059-AAC9-BCD5269DF794.jpeg
    723781ED-7398-4059-AAC9-BCD5269DF794.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 170

Attachments

• 0D63AA85-57B4-4165-8D50-AE5B491EB2C6.jpeg
    0D63AA85-57B4-4165-8D50-AE5B491EB2C6.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom