• betta

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • beta

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • doesn't really matter/don't care

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Pics
GUYS- I have a GREAT idea- I've been really into plants lately, and I'm constantly trying to get more. I can make a tank to grow underwater plants, then be like, hey! this is so great! a tank! all perfectly set up! with plants! and a filter! Gee, maybe I could, I don't know......put a fish in it? :D
You can, Ive also done a dry start with aquatic plants that also grow above water.

Why dont you search up ripariums? Maybe those would suit you more

You can, Ive also done a dry start with aquatic plants that also grow above water.

Why dont you search up ripariums? Maybe those would suit you more
That looks really cool, but my end goal is to get a fish, so the plants are for an easy transition to be like 'hey! cool! there's this fishtank sitting around full of plants that happens to be great for a fish! can i put a fish in it?"

I agree, growing underwater plants is a fun thing, even with no fish.

I've got a 20 gallon long tank right now, with a collection of plants and no fish. Right now, it takes even less care than my other plants in pots, because I don't have to water it regularly. The lights are on a timer, there is no filter or heater, and I am not fertilizing it. Every few months I notice that the water level is low (evaporation), so I add more. Over time, this makes the water harder, so once or twice a year I take some water out before topping it up. Every few years I decide to re-arrange things or add some new kinds of plants, but in between it just sits for months looking wet and green, with no care at all. I've got slow-growing plants, so they don't need pruning, but are gradually looking bigger and nicer with time.

You can also grow plants in jars of water. I did that before I set up my current tank--bought a few small plants that would have looked pitiful in the tank, and grew them in jars until the jars looked crowded. Then I got the tank and moved the plants into it. A few of my plants in jars died. I did not buy more of those kinds, because they obviously did not like the conditions that were easy for me to provide, and I was not willing to try to change conditions to suit them.

I've probably said it before, but I really like java fern. It's readily available, easy to grow, and doesn't need dirt or gravel because it doesn't grow proper roots. It grows slowly, so you don't have to be pruning it frequently, but can eventually get really large and look quite nice. Small ones are fairly cheap (but large ones cost quite a lot of money because of how long it takes them to get big.)

As for filter-- enough plants can sometimes take the place of a filter. Not always, and the rest of the conditions need to be right, but sometimes. So a tank full of plants might be able to handle one fish or a few fish without a separate filter.
What sort of plants do you grow in your jars? The only plant I’ve ever been able to grow successfully without plant specific substrate and a strong plant light is anubias. :lol:
Anubias are great tank plants to grow as well as the java fern. It is another slow grower, low light requirements and no soil needed plant. It will also flower under water when happy. :)
View attachment 2411536View attachment 2411535
Mine flowered too!
490E32CC-F18D-47B9-9A68-7C2F1F6331C7.png

What sort of plants do you grow in your jars? The only plant I’ve ever been able to grow successfully without plant specific substrate and a strong plant light is anubias. :lol:

Um, it's been a few years now. Let me go look it up...
Yup, Anubias nana petite.
Also java fern (a miniature variety), Saggitaria subulata ("Dwarf sag"), Echinodorus compacta ("Rosette Sword"), and some kind of moss.

Most of them had inert gravel with a few dead leaves under it. A few of the not-rooting kinds might have been in plain water.

They all ended up with a few dead bugs floating in the top over time, which may have helped with fertility :lol:

There may have been one or two other kinds of plants that died, but it's been 3.5 years and I'm pretty sure I still have all of the ones on that list, plus a few more I've bought after setting up the actual tank. I've been quite pleased with the rosette sword: it looks happy, has stayed about 6" high, and has made at least 2-3 babies. My tank is only 12" high so short height was important to me, I avoid stem plants because I don't like having to prune regularly, and I wanted something with a large root system to use nutrients from all parts of the gravel. So it's been perfect. The more common sword plants would have been my first choice if height were not an issue.

When I set up the actual tank I used the same kind of inert gravel, and whatever mulm/algae/dead plant leaves had accumulated in the jars. More has accumulated since, so it's almost like a kind of soil by now, probably complete with underwater earthworms (I added "Dero worms" for that purpose, but I haven't gone digging to see if they are still there. Years ago in another tank, I had "California Blackworms" living happily in the gravel, but this time I wanted to try a smaller kind.)

Light:

The jars with plants were under a pair of fluorescent tube lights that we were using with other houseplants. Probably cool white, but I no longer remember for sure.

For the tank, I use spiral fluorescent bulbs, color temperature 5000k or higher, I think actually 23 watts (the big text on the package claims they're equal to 100-watt incandescent.) I put them in either clamp desk lamps or (my current favorite) in those metal reflectors meant for heat lamps, which I can sit on the screen cover of the tank. Screen cover provides good airflow while keeping out kids, toys, pets, etc.

That looks really cool, but my end goal is to get a fish, so the plants are for an easy transition to be like 'hey! cool! there's this fishtank sitting around full of plants that happens to be great for a fish! can i put a fish in it?"

Yep, it's the same thing, you're just growing plants in a fish tank, where the leaves sit above the tank rather than submerged. and as afar as the plants go, it has better water cleaning functions than underwater plants. Essentially it's just a different type of planted tank. since you sad you've been getting into plants lately, I assumed that you meant house plants, since it's getting cold.

As for a dry start, most aquatic plants can be grown without water (iirc saggitaria and anacharias are exceptions). this prevents algae problems before you get the fish. then when you get your fish, you flood the tank, and you're good to go.

I think the biggest issue of having an empty but filled tank, is the need to feed your plants. they might not do so well without some kind of fertilizer. Ideally you want a good balanced environment full of healthy microscopic critters. Some people hate them, but I love pond snails and trumpet snails in my tank, they really help get the ecosystem going.

I"m back on the betta thing! I've decided to save up enough money to buy all of the materials, plus enough money to upkeep the tank for a year. I'm planning a ten gallon aquarium, still.
Current list:
1612878268351.png

The filter I think is good
The heater I think is good
Substrate of choice
Centerpiece- I plan to bury the base in the substrate so that it blends in.
The plants would be 3 java fern and 2 anubias.
I'm struggling to figure out how hard my water is- this is the town's water chart.
1612878521810.png

The ph looks good for a betta, but I can't figure out much else. I already have some water un chlorine stuff for my hermit crabs that I got for christmas to use for their water.

Back
Top Bottom