• betta

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • beta

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • doesn't really matter/don't care

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Pics
What's wrong with just,,,,,, putting the dirt in? are the air bubbles bad? I'd be having the tank without fish for a month or so anyway to cycle it and make sure that the plants take root properly.
Dirt floats especially if it has wood or twigs like an organic dirt mix may have. A layer of gravel or sand on top is called a cap, it holds the dirt down. Air bubbles can burst through the gravel then you get dirt in the water column. And it can take a few days for it to eventually stop. It makes life easier to just soak it and mix it up good before you cap the dirt and add water. 1-1.5inches of dirt and your cap should be 1 inch of gravel or 1/2 inch of sand.

Dirt floats especially if it has wood or twigs like an organic dirt mix may have. A layer of gravel or sand on top is called a cap, it holds the dirt down. Air bubbles can burst through the gravel then you get dirt in the water column. And it can take a few days for it to eventually stop. It makes life easier to just soak it and mix it up good before you cap the dirt and add water. 1-1.5inches of dirt and your cap should be 1 inch of gravel or 1/2 inch of sand.
Also if you want the dirt to be hidden from view, put a little gravel around the visible sides first before you add the dirt.

Also if you want the dirt to be hidden from view, put a little gravel around the visible sides first before you add the dirt.

Unless you want to just put the dirt in a pot (plastic pot or clay pot), and sit that in the tank.

If you only have a few plants in a large tank, that is one way to do it. Dirt in the pot with gravel on top of the dirt, and just gravel in the rest of the tank bottom.

Hiya! Just thought I'd jump in here since I've been taking care of betta's for about 3 years now, there's nothing necessarily wrong with the air bubbles, it'll just create a mess in your tank and most likely will mess with the water parameters of your soon to be aquarium.

How do I figure out the water ppm of my water?
The water test kit you get should cover all of your water needs, however, if you are on a tight budget it isn't needed. I haven't needed to test my water the whole time I've been taking care and breeding betta's, the only time was when a poor fella got dropsy. They are very hardy fish, don't underestimate them! Also, I noticed you were getting Java Ferns, be aware they DO NOT like to be put in substrate/dirt, that would cause root rot for them. Hope you can get your little buddy soon :rolleyes:

Hiya! Just thought I'd jump in here since I've been taking care of betta's for about 3 years now, there's nothing necessarily wrong with the air bubbles, it'll just create a mess in your tank and most likely will mess with the water parameters of your soon to be aquarium.

The water test kit you get should cover all of your water needs, however, if you are on a tight budget it isn't needed. I haven't needed to test my water the whole time I've been taking care and breeding betta's, the only time was when a poor fella got dropsy. They are very hardy fish, don't underestimate them! Also, I noticed you were getting Java Ferns, be aware they DO NOT like to be put in substrate/dirt, that would cause root rot for them. Hope you can get your little buddy soon :rolleyes:
Wait they don't like dirt?!! What do you put them in then???

How would you get the gravel to stay up against the sides? Get it wet?
Just dump it along the edges, maybe half an inch or an inch deep.
Then dump dirt in the middle.
Smooth dirt/gravel until you're happy with how deep each one is where, then add dirt gravel all over the top to hold the dirt down.

Wait they don't like dirt?!! What do you put them in then???
In the water.

Java ferns grow leaves from a green stem called a rhizome. That rhizome, and the leaves, like to be in water but not in dirt or gravel.

Skinny brown things that look like roots grow off the rhizome, but they don't act like normal roots. They are just for wrapping around things and hanging on.

Plants that grow in dirt need roots to soak up water--but a plant that's constantly in water doesn't have any trouble there.

And plants usually collect some nutrients through their roots, but with water all around the plants can do things differently there too.

You also mentioned wanting anubias. Anubias does grow roots in dirt. But java ferns just hang onto a rock or some gravel or sometimes java ferns just sort of drift around the tank. They're weird that way, but they are easy to take care of!

In the water.

Java ferns grow leaves from a green stem called a rhizome. That rhizome, and the leaves, like to be in water but not in dirt or gravel.

Skinny brown things that look like roots grow off the rhizome, but they don't act like normal roots. They are just for wrapping around things and hanging on.

Plants that grow in dirt need roots to soak up water--but a plant that's constantly in water doesn't have any trouble there.

And plants usually collect some nutrients through their roots, but with water all around the plants can do things differently there too.

You also mentioned wanting anubias. Anubias does grow roots in dirt. But java ferns just hang onto a rock or some gravel or sometimes java ferns just sort of drift around the tank. They're weird that way, but they are easy to take care of!
Agree except Anubias are like java ferns with a rhizome and roots trailing from that. With both types of plants you can bury the roots in the dirt/gravel enough to help the plant stay down, but the rhizome must be free floating can't be touching the bottom.

Edited to add: If you like java ferns and anubias, you have got to check out bucephelandra too and I've seen them for sale in the chain pet stores now too. There's so many varieties and colors... :love

1612897047443.png

Last edited:
In the water.

Anubias do not necessarily need dirt. Your description of the Java fern describes the Anubias perfectly too. They can be tied onto things like rocks, wood, or decorations until their roots grow around and hang on for themselves.
Here is one just getting started.
IMG_2771.JPG

This one is a little bigger and more established. It is has a nice flower. Sorry for the bad focus.
anubia flower 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom