Is it spelled 'betta' or 'beta'?

• betta

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • beta

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • doesn't really matter/don't care

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Thank you for that chart!! I think you're right- this does seem a bit smaller than that. I'll look and see if I think one seems close to what it seems like. I'll definitely bring a tape measure tomorrow.

Maybe 29 gallon?
30 inches long, 12 wide, and 18 inches high.

That would be about 2/3 as tall as it is long, which agrees with what I'm seeing in the front view.)

And I think the end view shows it taller than it is wide, although with the angle I am really unsure of that. But if I assume the counter is 2 feet wide (which is a common width for a countertop), and the tank is about half as wide as the counter, then the tank would be about 12 inches wide.

Maybe 29 gallon?
30 inches long, 12 wide, and 18 inches high.

That would be about 2/3 as tall as it is long, which agrees with what I'm seeing in the front view.)

And I think the end view shows it taller than it is wide, although with the angle I am really unsure of that. But if I assume the counter is 2 feet wide (which is a common width for a countertop), and the tank is about half as wide as the counter, then the tank would be about 12 inches wide.
It is taller than it is wide. I think that that's a good estimate!!

Very possible. It could also be a "tall" tank in a different gallon size. My sister wanted a 45 gallon tall for a while.
I'm reserving judgement due to lack of measurements lol but I lean towards 40g high. Just a few inches more or less on the sides can make a huge difference on actual gallon size. The side angle remind me of the dimensions on my 55g but it doesn't have the length.

I keep going back and forth. I'm wondering if I did just put a betta in if he'd just be extra happy in a giant tank? It will depend on the actual measurments/size.

I keep going back and forth. I'm wondering if I did just put a betta in if he'd just be extra happy in a giant tank? It will depend on the actual measurments/size.

A bigger tank like 30-40g would be easier for a beginner. The water parameters aren't going to swing as fast as they might in a smaller tank. Not that you really have to worry that much with a single betta fish but it gives you more plant options to choose from. The main difference is the taller a tank is, the stronger the lighting you need to reach plants at the bottom of the tank keeping in mind that anubias and java fern will be fine with almost any lighting lol.

Yes, I think a betta would be happy with the extra space.

I know extra length and width are fine for bettas. I don't remember whether extra depth causes problems or not. You'd have to check with someone who knows about bettas.

With a tank that tall, you also have the option of filling it only halfway with water, and letting some kinds of plants grow out of the water into the air space. Many aquatic plants are quite happy to stick their leaves up into the air above the water.

Yes, I think a betta would be happy with the extra space.

I know extra length and width are fine for bettas. I don't remember whether extra depth causes problems or not. You'd have to check with someone who knows about bettas.

With a tank that tall, you also have the option of filling it only halfway with water, and letting some kinds of plants grow out of the water into the air space. Many aquatic plants are quite happy to stick their leaves up into the air above the water.
like a paludarium

If you fill the tank only halfway and let the plants grow up out of the water, many will flower in that condition. However, you will need a filter that will accomodate the lower water level.

I just sold a 29g. It had the same footprint as the 20g but taller. Looked very similar to the one pictured by @black_cat.
Here is the 29g with a cool red light. This the dirt tank right after putting in the first plants
IMG_4464.JPG

Compare that with this one. I can't remember if it is 70 or 75g
IMG_1319.JPG

Back
Top Bottom