• betta

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • beta

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • doesn't really matter/don't care

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Pics
So........I've been doing some looking....for live plants, is there a way that you can kill them by accident? Or do you just plant them and they kinda just chill? Are they cheaper than fake plants? Can you put gravel over a planty substrate if you like the look of the gravel?

So........I've been doing some looking....for live plants, is there a way that you can kill them by accident? Or do you just plant them and they kinda just chill? Are they cheaper than fake plants? Can you put gravel over a planty substrate if you like the look of the gravel?

The plants will pretty much just chill. You might have to trim them from time to time, depending on what plants you get. You might also have to add some fertilizer into the tank once per week. Seachem flourish is good, just avoid the seachem flourish excel.
The price will depend on what plant you buy. For example, anacharis will be pretty cheep, while dwarf baby tears will be relatively expensive.
You can cap the planted substrate with gravel if you want.

Also what live plants are best?

Since it would be your first time with live plants, you want to go with really simple, easy-to-grow plants. Anubias, cryptocoryne, anacharis, java fern, java moss, hornwort, pearlweed, salvinia, and frogbit are all easy plants. Marimo moss balls are incredibly easy, and bettas love them. With the moss balls, you just have to put them in the tank, roll them over once in a while, and squeeze them out every few weeks. That's all they need.

The plants will pretty much just chill. You might have to trim them from time to time, depending on what plants you get. You might also have to add some fertilizer into the tank once per week. Seachem flourish is good, just avoid the seachem flourish excel.
The price will depend on what plant you buy. For example, anacharis will be pretty cheep, while dwarf baby tears will be relatively expensive.
I just spit out my water. 'dwarf baby tears' is a real plant?!?!? :lau (not laughing at you, I know you're helpful, it's just that NAME)

Thanks! So it looks like seachem seems to be a good brand?

Since it would be your first time with live plants, you want to go with really simple, easy-to-grow plants. Anubias, cryptocoryne, anacharis, java fern, java moss, hornwort, pearlweed, salvinia, and frogbit are all easy plants. Marimo moss balls are incredibly easy, and bettas love them. With the moss balls, you just have to put them in the tank, roll them over once in a while, and squeeze them out every few weeks. That's all they need.
It looks like my local pet store has anubias and java fern. What do you think of moneywort and water wisteria? (*picks the most aesthetically pleasing plants at pet store* lol)

Thanks! So it looks like seachem seems to be a good brand?

Yeah, seachem is a good brand, as long as you know exactly what you're buying. Like I said, you should avoid the seachem flourish excel. That has been known to kill fish. But, the seachem flourish (without the excel part) is totally fine.
They also have bacteria in a bottle which would help speed up your cycle. You don't have to use it though. I don't.

I have 3 moss balls and I've never done anything with them, there just sitting at the bottom of the tank and have survived for 2 years almost

Back
Top Bottom