Better Immune system

orangesplash

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
Islamabad, Pakistan
How can one warrant a very good immune system for chicks that have been hatched at home?
One of the 37 chicks died all of a sudden. There was no signs of sluggishnish or any other symptoms. Please experts give me a diet plan that i can follow for these angels.

thanks in advance!

How can one warrant a very good immune system for chicks that have been hatched at home?
One of the 37 chicks died all of a sudden. There was no signs of sluggishnish or any other symptoms. Please experts give me a diet plan that i can follow for these angels.

thanks in advance!
I see you are in Pakistan.. do you have formulated "chick" feed their? Or what do you normally use?

What day did your one chick pass on? Sometimes their inside organs didn't form completely even though it looks perfect on the outside. Which day it passed can HELP tell the cause.. but it may NOT be weak immune system.. NOT every chick that hatches will live, unfortunately.. EVEN when we do everything correctly!

Congrats on your big hatch! Hope the rest of your babies continue to thrive! :fl

@Saaniya Are you over there in the East a bit or am I recalling incorrectly? TIA

I see you are in Pakistan.. do you have formulated "chick" feed their? Or what do you normally use?

What day did your one chick pass on? Sometimes their inside organs didn't form completely even though it looks perfect on the outside. Which day it passed can HELP tell the cause.. but it may NOT be weak immune system.. NOT every chick that hatches will live, unfortunately.. EVEN when we do everything correctly!

Congrats on your big hatch! Hope the rest of your babies continue to thrive! :fl

@Saaniya Are you over there in the East a bit or am I recalling incorrectly? TIA

it was the 10th day. the chick was opening and closing its mouth to breath.

Yes, we have feed available here. recently i got this organic feed from a person who was making his own formulation of chick feed and i feel things changed after that.

it was the 10th day. the chick was opening and closing its mouth to breath.
By the 10th day.. that is not usually a hatching anomaly.. unless working some lethal genes.. that can cause death even up to about 3 weeks old.

It *could* have been coccidiosis.. IF they were crowded, their bedding was wet, or any poo droppings got in the water. It usually has some symptoms but can be easy to miss in larger groups like yours. Symptoms cannot appear before day 7 according to my current understanding.

Pasty butt HAS been seen even in chicks hatched at home and/or EVEN raised by a broody.. Again sometimes easy to miss in bigger groups, it is not solely cause by shipping stress as we are often led to believe. It never starts happening before day 3 or 4, HERE. Pasty butt can be deadly fast, within 48 hours. Were there any signs at the vent that might indicate such?

Opening and closing the mouth.. is often a symptom of gasping for air.. which CAN be a sign organs are failing.. they cannot pump enough oxygen through the blood. This CAN be due to ANY end of life condition.

The crop or gizzard might have gotten a blockage of sorts.. causing slow, sour, or blocked crop.. often indicated by excessive drinking and decreases appetite, but not always.

If there was no snot, discharge, sneezing, etc.. then I would not worry too much about the respiratory distress being contagious..

Be aware of the coccidiosis, pasty butt, blocked crop etc.. but I consider 1 out of 30+ to not be of MAJOR concern.. and almost indicating that you MAY be doing something right! :highfive:

Hope they continue to thrive! :fl

A broody hen's chicks are exposed to her and her environment from hatch. One of the first things she does is take her chicks to a place they can peck at the ground. This gets grit into their gizzard so they can grind up anything they eat. By pecking where the other chickens have pooped they get any probiotics the adults may have and it gets them started on developing any flock immunities they may need. They are not raised in a sterile
environment. They start out strengthening their immune system from Day 1.

I am not a broody hen but I do what I can. I keep the brooder dry, a wet brooder is a dangerous unhealthy brooder. I feed them dirt from the run a couple of times a week. This introduces them to anything they need to work on as far as strengthening their immune system and gets grit into their system. If you don't have any adults they will not get any benefit from probiotics but they can still possibly get started on building immunity if there is something in your soil. They are easier for me to observe while they are in the brooder as opposed to when they are running around outside.

One of the 37 chicks died all of a sudden. There was no signs of sluggishnish or any other symptoms.

With no symptoms and no sluggishness and no other chicks affected my guess is a birth defect. Probably died of a heart attack or a stroke. That happens with some people, that happens with some chicks. It is highly unlikely you did anything wrong.

Back
Top Bottom