BEWARE! Infectious Coryza! Loss of voice, discharge from eyes & nose.

mikelewis

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
I am a chicken enthusiast. I started raising chickens around Feb 2010 when my friend gave me a half dozen baby chicks. I was so fond of them, in March I bought a dozen more Rhode Island Reds & black Jersey Giants. The birds were beautiful, happy & healthy. Being the inexperienced new chicken man that I am, I was unaware of the dangers in obtaining a sick bird. One day I went to the flea market and found a pair of Polish chickens that I thought I wanted. I brought them home and a couple days later I was feeding up when the Polish rooster went into what I interpret as cardiac arrest. I just blew it off as bad luck with an old chicken. The lady I bought them from said she didn't know much about them & she had just obtained them, including their age. Abo
ut 3 weeks pass and I find out about a local auction. I picked up a 3 baby Guineas, half dozen Old English, pair of Polish, 1 modern or standard game cock. Within a couple days, I noticed the large Game cock had discharge-yellow mucus from his eye. I thought he must have injured it, but I called a friend anyway. I explained the situation to him and he replied "Kill him". I replied that it was kinda drastic and cold, that I didn't want to. I asked him if he could be treated but he advised me to administer Dylan. I did and he appeared t
o get better. It wasn't until 2 more birds had eye problems that I knew I had an issue.
So I went to the internet for information. By the time I discovered enough info to comfortably self diagnose my chickens. 1 of my original roosters lost his voice. After a lengthy investigation for a cure and treatment, I found out that there is NO cure. Treatment is costly. The birds will always be carriers and I felt overwhelmed. My wife and I discussed it for awhile, and decided the best thing for us to do was to dispose of all birds that were in direct contact of the disease & start over. Salvaging only the birds in cages that didn't appear to be infected. Although they were in close proximity of the infected cages. It was hard to do and heartbreaking but yesterday we eliminated approximately 34 chickens leaving us only 6 chickens. We decided to isolate the 6 remaining chickens. Today I went out to administer Tylan to them and check them out. All 6 birds look healthy with good feathers and cones. :eek:wever, 3 of the 6 birds do have yellow mucus and/or crust around the nose. What should I do? Also. I have 6 pens. Cleanup is a mess with lots of diarrhea. I sprayed with lots of bleach water. Tomorrow I was going to get lime to put in the pens. Does anyone know how much to use? Will this method be efficient? I want to start a new flock and I don't want this to happen again! Thanks!
Mr. Chicken Dummy

If the other birds have it too.. you need to kill them too... sorry
(i would anyway..)
And you need to disinfect the hell out of your coop and cages...
And then start new with HATCHING EGGS... the risk of disease is MUCH lower.
Get them from NPIP breeder stock to be even safer..(although i usually dont... so i do still take a slight risk...)
I will never ever buy an adult chicken or even chicks again from anyone... only hatching eggs.
Its just not worth the risk...

Last edited:
Sorry you are going through that mikelewis. Sad story.
Unfortunately I think redhen is right, you want to make sure your next flock is safe, and practice biosecurity.

Imp

Thanks guys! I kinda figured your advice but I was hoping I could seperate them long enough to get eggs.Iis that not safe?How contagious is it?How well do I have to disinfect?Should I use somthing in addition to the bleach and lime?
sad.png

First, whenever I bring home new chickens, I treat them with Aureomycin (? spelling) for 2 weeks. Not only do I treat them, I treat all of my chickens at the same time. Your problem is self diagnosis. There are so many things with similiar symptoms. It may not be an infectious contagious disease, it could just be a respiratory infection. My Vet recommended the Aureomycin when my chickens started have sinus infection and their eyes were having goop in them. I started treatment and all are doing well now.

Aureomycin is an antibiotic treatment for swine and a lot stronger than Tylan or Tetramyacin.

Last edited:
my chicken started coughing and sneezing a spread through the coop. I put down the ones that were old and isolated the other one. Also a couple have clear weeping around the eye yesterday. Today they seem fine. Are antibiotics recommended. I had just put my 2 months old chicks in the with the hens just before this started. the chicks were raised by one of my hens, I got the eggs from a friend. Any suggestions?

I too am dealing with colds in the flock.

Small flock of 11. One started with sneezing, then all others started sneezing over the next few days. Then congestion in the chest that I could hear when they breathed.

I am treating with antibiotic in their water, seems to be helping, but I never had any with discharge from eyes or nose. Maybe I had something different (I hope). Not out of the clear yet, but I don't think they are getting worse.

Am I a "closed flock" now?

Back
Top Bottom