Beyond wet chickens

Cindy Sue

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2017
Should I do more then this:

I usually leave the coop open and the chickens go in and out all day as they please, today the wind blew the gate over the rock, and we've had a downpour, my chickens are wet, seriously wet, you can see their skin, I have put the heat light on in the coop, do I need to do more??? I'm really worried. I do not want to traumatize them uneccessarily with a blow dryer, or rubbing down with towels (which seems the most gentlest way to handle it) if it is something I need to be concerned with. They have never been this wet and this was a serious little storm that has hit us.

You can blow dry on low heat or towel off depending on how well your chickens like to be handled. My chickens love the rain so will run around in it. If rains in the afternoon and its sunny the rest of the day, I'll let them dry off naturally. If it's getting close to night fall I'll dry them off with a towel and a blow drier. Doesn't seem to bother them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry unless it's getting super super cold.

One time one of my ex battery hens got stuck outside the coop in a crazy down poor- I saw her standing outside the door in the rain just looking pathetic :hit got her in the coop on some dry bedding and she was right as rain (har har har) by morning :rolleyes:

I guess chickens just seem fragile to me. I also had the notion that chickens shouldn't get to wet, because it would make them sick and die. Not sure where this came from but it's something that was in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom