Big bird?

She looks healthy to me. Chicken genetics are so diverse and can produce a multitude of different outcomes, especially when mixing breeds. I’d say she’s just genetically large and to be so large at a young age, you may have a very special bird. One someone might be interested in breeding if trying to create or improve on a large breed.

Agreed! December 22nd of 1995 is the day my brother was killed. That was a long time ago, but it's part of me and always will be. Time has given me the gift of more and more fond memories instead of constant pain. My daughter is named after him, which he thought was hilarious (not sure why i told him that i was going to name my kids after him, because i didn't have a kid until 2011). My daughter, Erica, loves her name and hearing about her uncle.
You've been on my mind so much since yesterday. I know that my loss isn't nearly the same (as no losses are) but if you ever want to chat or anything, please know that I'd be honored.

BIG BONNIE, in all caps, certainly applies, hahaha. I'll definitely keep updating as she gets older. I've got a NN/Cochin cross that i thought was big, but again, she's got nothing on Bonnie. She started laying 2 weeks ago and the size of her eggs compared to her is hilarious! I'm anxious to see Bonnie's tiny pullet eggs :)

She looks healthy to me. Chicken genetics are so diverse and can produce a multitude of different outcomes, especially when mixing breeds. I’d say she’s just genetically large and to be so large at a young age, you may have a very special bird. One someone might be interested in breeding if trying to create or improve on a large breed.

Thank you for your reply. I haven't thought about that, but that's interesting for sure! Her comb and wattles have really been growing and getting closer to red, so I'm excited for her to start laying. If she does begin laying soon, that'd be another great thing. My girls that are on the larger side always seem to lay later. I think I'll check her pelvic spacing today. She's been getting a lot of attention from a cockerel.

I've got it in my head that there's a possibility that she might not lay, so there's all kinds of possibilities running through my mind. She looks and acts healthy and happy. Here's hoping she'll be a BIG girl that's perfectly normal. The only LF males that i have to breed with her are CCL/Marans crosses and she's larger than they were at this age XD

I wanted to update this post on Bonnie. She's 20 weeks old today and is 7lbs 8ozs. She laid her first egg from the roost last night and it was a soft shelled egg but the light layer of shell that was there is a light brown color (I don't have high roost because I do not want her to get injured landing). I gave her a calcium citrate today, so hopefully that will help. She is still much larger than all of my other pullets and hens. @Bigtom Turkey is correct that she's definitely the boss in her flock.

Edited because I may be wrong about her age. She is right at 20 weeks old today but I need to check my math to be certain. She hatched Aug 15th 2020 (she will be exactly 20 weeks Sat Jan 2nd)

Last edited:
I had an EE hybrid run on the heavy side once. As far as health for her, she died of a genetic flaw. Her mother had died of the same thing. I wouldn't have any concerns of a more heavier bird at that age, but if you're looking for something to be concerned with, watch the feet. The more the weight, the higher chances of her injuring her feet. But even that I wouldn't be too concerned about unless you actually see an injury. She should be fine. She sure is beautiful! :love :love
Thank you so much! I did adjust the roost to keep her from getting injured from jumping down. They didn't like the lower roosts at first but now they don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom