HELP! So many egg bound issues!?

DuckChick758

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
What am I doing wrong!?

I have a mixed flock that’s all nearing laying age at the same time. Everyone is between 18-26 weeks. Three weeks ago, I had an egg bound duck on the first egg we ever got. Nursed her through it, she laid 2 eggs, and now she’s laying on her own this week, no issues.

But now, our Buff Orpington hen is egg bound. She laid her first egg 2 days ago. It looked big to me, but she did it on her own. Now she’s egg bound and bleeding (probably ruptured a blood vessel). She seemed ok this morning, and since she laid 2 days ago, I’m thinking I caught it early. Obviously going to soak her, give her some calcium gluconate, see what I can do for her.

But, my question is…am I just unlucky? Or am I doing something wrong? They have a very large, nice coop and run. I do feed them veggie scraps daily, but it’s mostly cucumbers and zucchini. Otherwise, they were on Purina Flock raiser with Oyster shell on the side. I’m transitioning them to a layer feed, so I’m slowly mixing that with the leftover flock raiser until they are on the pure layer feed. Still providing oyster shell. Does it sound like I’m messing something up with their feed? Has anyone else had back to back problems like this?

What am I doing wrong!?

I have a mixed flock that’s all nearing laying age at the same time. Everyone is between 18-26 weeks. Three weeks ago, I had an egg bound duck on the first egg we ever got. Nursed her through it, she laid 2 eggs, and now she’s laying on her own this week, no issues.

But now, our Buff Orpington hen is egg bound. She laid her first egg 2 days ago. It looked big to me, but she did it on her own. Now she’s egg bound and bleeding (probably ruptured a blood vessel). She seemed ok this morning, and since she laid 2 days ago, I’m thinking I caught it early. Obviously going to soak her, give her some calcium gluconate, see what I can do for her.

But, my question is…am I just unlucky? Or am I doing something wrong? They have a very large, nice coop and run. I do feed them veggie scraps daily, but it’s mostly cucumbers and zucchini. Otherwise, they were on Purina Flock raiser with Oyster shell on the side. I’m transitioning them to a layer feed, so I’m slowly mixing that with the leftover flock raiser until they are on the pure layer feed. Still providing oyster shell. Does it sound like I’m messing something up with their feed? Has anyone else had back to back problems like this?
It sounds like you are being a great chicken parent!

I think that sometimes they just have trouble ramping up. I agree with another poster, just remove the scraps, stick to layer feed and see if that helps improve symptoms.

I currently have a girl dealing with a broken egg in her. It so hard because you just want to do everything possible for them. Spoil them with love and treats but I know the treats are what will cause the issues.

Cut out the treats and switch to a nice layer feed, no need to slowly cross the feeds, just let them at it.
Is the general consensus that purina flock raiser is no good for layers? I originally wanted them on that because I have a mixed flock with a rooster and ducks…but I decided to switch 2 weeks ago when we had the egg bound duck

Is the general consensus that purina flock raiser is no good for layers? I originally wanted them on that because I have a mixed flock with a rooster and ducks…but I decided to switch 2 weeks ago when we had the egg bound duck
No, It's fine but sometimes it the birds need more calcium

Is the general consensus that purina flock raiser is no good for layers?
No.
Many, including myself, feed only an all flock type feed.
Just gotta make sure the layers are getting the needed calcium.

I keep oyster shell, sometimes mixed with crushed egg shell, in a separate feeder.
They young ones might not catch on the eating it, so you can also toss some out with a bit of scratch grains.

Thanks all. I’ve promptly switched them to 100% layer feed + a side of oyster shell still. No more treats for now. My other hens and ducks are successfully laying this week.

Don’t think this hen is going to make it though. I’m not new to farm animals, but I’m new to birds. In all my research, though, this prolapse issue she had is about as bad as I’ve seen examples of online. Taking her to be humanely euthanized at a vet, unless they think they can help her :( it came on so fast. She was totally fine yesterday morning and afternoon.

Thanks all. I’ve promptly switched them to 100% layer feed + a side of oyster shell still. No more treats for now. My other hens and ducks are successfully laying this week.

Don’t think this hen is going to make it though. I’m not new to farm animals, but I’m new to birds. In all my research, though, this prolapse issue she had is about as bad as I’ve seen examples of online. Taking her to be humanely euthanized at a vet, unless they think they can help her :( it came on so fast. She was totally fine yesterday morning and afternoon.
If your state lab is within driving distance, they can put the bird to sleep for you and perform a necropsy.
State labs are usually always cheaper than a vet's office just not always close by.

Now she’s egg bound and bleeding (probably ruptured a blood vessel). She seemed ok this morning, and since she laid 2 days ago, I’m thinking I caught it early. Obviously going to soak her, give her some calcium gluconate, see what I can do for her.

I have a mixed flock that’s all nearing laying age at the same time. Everyone is between 18-26 weeks. Three weeks ago, I had an egg bound duck on the first egg we ever got. Nursed her through it, she laid 2 eggs,

In all my research, though, this prolapse issue she had is about as bad as I’ve seen examples of online.
Do you have a Drake with your hens?

Photos of the prolapse would be a good idea if you have them.

Flock Raiser with Oyster shell provided free choice should be fine for both the chickens and ducks.

Do you have a Drake with your hens?

Photos of the prolapse would be a good idea if you have them.

Flock Raiser with Oyster shell provided free choice should be fine for both the chickens and ducks.

I don’t have a drake. Just a rooster.

We ended up euthanizing the hen at the vet. Vet said it was an odd prolapse. The prolapsed tissue held the egg outside her body, but it was completely twisted to the point where the vet couldn’t even get a feel on the actual egg through the opening. He seemed to speculate that she may have had a deformity in her reproductive tract.

Back
Top Bottom