Can liquid calcium be added to hen’s water?

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We have had two egg bound chickens in the last few months. One recovered and one sadly didn’t make it. We give them a layer feed with oyster shells available at all times separately. We rarely see them eat the oyster shells. I’ve heard that some people add liquid calcium to the water. Is this something we should do and if so how much and how often? We have a bottle of Calcium Gluconate.
IMG_0526.jpeg

I'm sorry for your loss.

There are many reasons why a hen may become egg bound. Having too much fat (obesity), trying to lay an exceptionally large egg, reproductive disorders (cancer, eyp, etc.), poor diet are a few.

Giving extra Calcium when a hen is in crisis or if she's having trouble with soft shelled eggs is an appropriate action to take.

A nutritionally balanced poultry feed along with oyster shell should be sufficient for most hens.

I would not add extra calcium to the water.

IF you have another hen that is having problems then you can give her the Calcium Gluconate orally at 0.20ml per pound of weight once daily.

I mixed some in with a few Tbsp of plain organic yogurt and gave it to my hens after I saw a couple soft shell eggs, they loved it. Its kinda hard to squirt it in their mouth wit a syringe but if all else fails then ya gotta. I see mine eat some oyster shell but probably not enough to make up for the fct that their main feed is an all-flock and not a layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom