Big's Gazpacho

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Aug 11, 2010.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Everyone,

I got motivated to come up with a cold soup - my wife is now 3 months into her Weight Watchers Plan and we eat a lot of cold tomato, cucumber, corn and vidalia onion salads. So going to this was easy.
    I always preach that people should root around on the internet for recipes and looking at recipe videos people post on YouTube. Being the web is such an international thing you get lots of variations and learn
    a bit about the origins of dishes. I learned something very interesting when searching Gazpacho from Wikipedia, check this out:

Tomato was added to the recipe in the 1700s. Although Cortez found tomatoes growing in Montezuma’s gardens in 1519, and it became part of the culinary bounty brought back to Spain by the 16th-century conquistadors, as part of the Nightshade family of plants it was deemed poisonous and relegated to decorative plant status. A famine in Italy 200 years later caused starving peasants to eat the tomatoes to no ill effect, and the tomato entered the European culinary tradition.

Can you believe that something so prevalent in Italian cuisine now was so shunned in the past ?? Learn something every day huh ??

Anyway here we go:

Mis en place:

5 ice cubes
    1 1/2 cups V8 Juice
    3 large tomatoes cored and quartered
    1 large cucumber, rough peeled and cut into chunks
    1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into chunks
    4 cloves garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
    1 medium vidallia onion, peeled and quartered
    2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
    juice of one lime
    1 Tsp Tobasco Sauce
    1 Tsp Worstecshire Sauce
    1 Tsp Sea Salt
    1 Tsp Fresh Black Pepper
    1/2 cup cilantro
    1/4 cup EVO

1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
    1 ear uncooked corn, peeled and corn cut off cob
    8 medium cooked shrimp, peeled

Preparation

Place first group of ingredients into blender or food processor as listed. Pulse on medium speed off and on about 30 seconds. You don't want a pureed mass, you want some small rough pieces. Because of the ice cubes you can serve it right away. OR place blender canister into fridge and refrigerate 2-12 hours. It tastes a lot better when it's had a chance to get cold and the ingredients can meld together some.

Serve in soup bowls and garnish with the avocado, cut corn and shrimp... If you can make some garlic bagel crisps or croutons to float in the soup, all the better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    YUM!! that's like a big ol shrimp cocktail soup! thanks for the recipe--sounds good for supper here tomorrow night, since temps are averaging 100 & heat indexes well over that!

3. bigmike&nan

It's been stinking hot here to. The wife has been on Weight Watchers 3 months now, we eat a lot of cold salad platters of sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, vidalia onions and cut corn (off the cob). So this gazpacho was just that with some V8 and other stuff to jazz it up. It's amazing.

And she just went to her weekly meeting at WW, she lost 3.8 pounds in the last week for a total of 31.8 pounds lost. THAT"S MY GIRL !!!!!!!!

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hey BigMike! Welcome back to BYC!
    And Nan: YOU GO GIRL!!!

I used to make gazpacho like this years ago - too lazy to puree so I'd just cut up the vegs into a small-medium dice and "soup" them with V8 or tomato juice adding a little EVOO & vinegar for tangy.
    And sometimes some red chile flakes for heat.
    I like green or black olives (or both!) in my gazpacho.
    Capers - the little nonpareil ones or the (cheaper) big ones - too.

Now I'm hoooongry for gazpacho - in this heat it's the perfect dinner : 9

5. bigmike&nan

It's hot just about everywhere so I'm popping this to the top of the heap.
    Make a big batch and you can just store and serve. I send my wife to work with this for her lunch too. Great eats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by