Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
Hi, I am in the uk, if you crossed a silver blue Birchen cock with a black silver birchen hen, what would you get? Many thanks

hello birchen fans -- I am trying to decide which rooster to keep -- i actually think i know what the best answer is, but am interested in your thoughts:

Jack is two years old, and has a nice shape, and perhaps a little larger, but has too much gold in his feathers, and not very long/extensive hackles.

Max is a year old, a little smaller, better coloring in his hackle feathers (although still a bit of gold on his back), but a higher tail, so not quite as correct shape.

preferences? they are not related to each other; both are easy-going and friendly, but do not get along with each other.

Last edited:
hello birchen fans -- I am trying to decide which rooster to keep -- i actually think i know what the best answer is, but am interested in your thoughts:

Jack is two years old, and has a nice shape, and perhaps a little larger, but has too much gold in his feathers, and not very long/extensive hackles.

Max is a year old, a little smaller, better coloring in his hackle feathers (although still a bit of gold on his back), but a higher tail, so not quite as correct shape.

preferences? they are not related to each other; both are easy-going and friendly, but do not get along with each other.
Jack's type is much nicer and more balanced, regardless of color faults. He'd be my guy. :)

Hi hope all are good.... I am looking for some birchen Marans... chicks or hatching eggs.... any breeds here sale them...?
I'm in SC

Keith

Hi everyone,

I have started to show my birchens does anyone know what the judges are looking for in a good one?

Thanks, Ian.

I have a question for you. What would you do for a male if you only keep one and it falls over Dead ?

I would frantically start searching for another one. But I try to always keep a backup rooster for each breed/variety. I have a row of small "bachelor" pens where I keep extra roosters.

I would like to do this, but don't have enough space -- and am sad to report that the birchen rooster that i kept, of the two above, has become inexplicably aggressive this spring/summer, after being incredibly easy-going and mellow for 2.5 years prior -- I am on the verge of getting rid of him, which will probably mean giving up on raising birchen marans. but he's just too big to tolerate ANY bad behavior from.

Back
Top Bottom