bird asleep in coop, might have gotten too cold

Poisoning is highly unlikely; and unless temps have consistently been below freezing then that’s not frostbite.

I disagree about keeping the heat lamp on him. That’s too much of a temp extreme variation as the bird was not suffering from being too cold or frostbite (37 is way too warm for that, unless the chicken is featherless). I would just separate her and keep an eye - but heat lamp is probably too much.
Yeah I agree... cyanide seems very unlikely... frostbite is also weird. However, we must see that his health has improved since being in warmer conditions. BUT I would agree that he should be kept seperate for a bit

Just when I thought things were getting better...

He had started to breath more heavily, so I unwrapped him thinking he was too warm. He was getting more energetic, and I thought he was improving. I know in humans that when we get cold our breathing and heart rate slows down, and I thought he was recovering now that he had warmed up.
Out of no where he got up, almost started to violently shake, and began vomiting. Water and food dripping out of his mouth going everywhere. I know that chickens don't vomit, so I knew this was bad. He started flapping his wings, trying to upchuck, his head and neck going limp.

He had worms... effing worms... We had just finished de worming the flock and we loose one to worms... I know this because this came up in the ordeal.

IMG-2849.JPG

I don't know what kind of worm this is, or what to do for the flock. The whole thing lasted 30 seconds, he is now alone in a box propped up with blankets and towels. I have called a time of death but will wait on the off chance.

Moving forward, what the hell is this thing? What do I need to do for my flock? How could I have caught this sooner?

Honestly, I’m not sure that that’s even a parasitic worm. I’m wondering if it’s something he ate that impacted his crop? You’re right, chickens don’t vomit so any food that comes out has been blocked from going down into the stomach. That looks like a common garden grub.... and since you’re in the US, it’s probably not gapeworm and those are way smaller and don’t come out like that. Can’t wait for someone else to respond, I’m extremely curious.
And don’t beat yourself up. Chickens are delicate and get sick easily. Every issue is a learning experience.
How big is that thing? Can you put a quarter next to it and take a pic? I can’t really gauge the size.

Just when I thought things were getting better...

He had started to breath more heavily, so I unwrapped him thinking he was too warm. He was getting more energetic, and I thought he was improving. I know in humans that when we get cold our breathing and heart rate slows down, and I thought he was recovering now that he had warmed up.
Out of no where he got up, almost started to violently shake, and began vomiting. Water and food dripping out of his mouth going everywhere. I know that chickens don't vomit, so I knew this was bad. He started flapping his wings, trying to upchuck, his head and neck going limp.

He had worms... effing worms... We had just finished de worming the flock and we loose one to worms... I know this because this came up in the ordeal.

View attachment 2389372

I don't know what kind of worm this is, or what to do for the flock. The whole thing lasted 30 seconds, he is now alone in a box propped up with blankets and towels. I have called a time of death but will wait on the off chance.

Moving forward, what the hell is this thing? What do I need to do for my flock? How could I have caught this sooner?
Oh god... I'm so sorry man.... he looked like a lovely roo :( I have no goddamn clue... normally worms are long and stringy. Preserve that specimine... take to the vet and reworm the chicks.

Honestly, I’m not sure that that’s even a parasitic worm. I’m wondering if it’s something he ate that impacted his crop? You’re right, chickens don’t vomit so any food that comes out has been blocked from going down into the stomach. That looks like a common garden grub.... and since you’re in the US, it’s probably not gapeworm and those are way smaller and don’t come out like that. Can’t wait for someone else to respond, I’m extremely curious.
And don’t beat yourself up. Chickens are delicate and get sick easily. Every issue is a learning experience.
How big is that thing? Can you put a quarter next to it and take a pic? I can’t really gauge the size.
Its a bit smaller than my pinky nail, i'll try to get a better picture

Oh god... I'm so sorry man.... he looked like a lovely roo :( I have no goddamn clue... normally worms are long and stringy. Preserve that specimine... take to the vet and reworm the chicks.
I've got it in a bag, hope that doesn't cost a bunch. As unfortunate as it is, he would have been the third roo in a flock of 8, now seven. Worried about the flock, and his bff. He grew up with another one of our birds, who has a crossbeak. I was hoping to keep this guy so that our crossbeak would have a buddy. Here's hoping someone else steps up...

I agree... worms are normally tiny compared to that or at least long and stringy... looks like massive grub or caterpillar or something really weird. I have no effing clue.. Even if he ate it it wouldn't be that intact.​

I've got it in a bag, hope that doesn't cost a bunch. As unfortunate as it is, he would have been the third roo in a flock of 8, now seven. Worried about the flock, and his bff. He grew up with another one of our birds, who has a crossbeak. I was hoping to keep this guy so that our crossbeak would have a buddy. Here's hoping someone else steps up...
Have the other roos been lost to 'worms' as well. And yeah, vets are expensive but I think it'd really be worth it to take that thing to the vet to find what in the hell it is.

Back
Top Bottom