bird proof chicken feeder plans

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by seadrift, Jan 18, 2014.

1. seadrift

seadrift Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Aloha! I live in Hawaii on the Big Island and would love to have you email me the plans for your version of the 'bird proof automatic chicken feeder'. I also have been feeding all the birds on the island I am sure. The more feed I put out, the more birds show up. I have approx. 100+ in my chicken house with covered pen every time I check even though I feed my hens outside in the lot and not in the pen! I put up smaller mesh and they still get in, but can't get out! It's like the movie 'The Birds' when I open the door and go in to chase them out. the island has no shortage of birds all year round! I definitely need to make one of these feeders...please help with plans! Mahalo

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - hopefully someone can provide those plans.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

I had the same trouble here in my chicken yard. My birds coop was in an old garden and they free ranged around in this garden. The wild birds were getting in and drinking from the chickens water and eating their feed. I had to set up poles, 3 of them, with a cookie tin on top of each of these poles and lay 1/2 netting, circus tent style, over the entire garden. A huge thing that hung over the area, LOL, but it kept out the little birds. Originally I had 2 inch netting strung over it, but they still got in. I tried 1 inch, and the birds got in, but couldn't get out. So all I could do was try 1/2 inch. It is actually deer netting as it is called. To keep deer from eating your plants. It is tough stuff however and did the trick. Those little birds spread diseases. I had lots of trouble in my chicken yard and quail aviaries with illness until I got a handle on the wild birds.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Aloha Big Islander, and [​IMG] it is great to have you join us here [​IMG]

Nice place to raise chickens with volcanic & jungle landscape and as I remember birds of every size [​IMG]

your coop would have to be made of 1/4 inch fencing covered netting and I am sure them little birds could still find a way past that [​IMG]

For your situation you might find it best to do what I do here in the Deseret in the Spring and that is feed them in the morning and evening inside a coop then just let them free-range the rest of the day [​IMG]

Mahalo my Islander friend [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by