Bird w/ runny/stuffy nose

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I have a bird that has been isolated for about a week in a half now w/ a sniffly nose. She has clear fluid coming out only one nostril. Have been treating her. In the past i asked the question what could she have an no one has really answered. Some people thought she might have Coryza, but definately does not exhibit the symptoms of Coryza (the main one the swelling of the head). In the beginning this bird did have goopy eyes but doesn't have that anymore just the runny nose. If all she has is a cold how long will it last 4-6 weeks longer? Any help/inclination on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kim

Some of the birds in my flock had those same symptoms. Had them tested and they had MG. It is highly contageous and it is treatable but there is no cure. Once they have it, they are carriers for life. I had them all euthanized. I don't know what yours has, but I'd recommend having them tested.

Here is a good site to look at:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS044

Chickens do not get head colds like mammals. MG is likely or Infectious Bronchitis. If it had just been sneezing or an occasion clear run from the nostril, maybe not, but goopy eyes is the sign of one of the common carrier diseases. My policy is to cull because of the carrier status they have, even if they seem to get better. Thank goodness, havent had to institute that policy in the three years I've had a flock.

Sorry to hear of your issue, Mustangs...chickens do not get "colds" as human beings do. They get respiratory infections (if they are displaying "cold like" symptoms). What did you treat with?

This chicken does not act lethargic or droopy at all. She actually quite a nut. She hates being handled. I treat her twice a day and you'd think she'd get used to being handled, but not she's just crazy.

I am currently treating her w/ essential oils (therapeutic grade and know to be antibacterial/anti viral) and some other natural stuff. I thought I would try some garlic but not sure how much to give her and if I need to give 1 or 2x/day.

Kim

I checked how to flush the sinuses. From this forum and another forum I was told this is contagious and my other birds could have this too. No one is showing symptoms at the moment. Only this bird has symptoms and was told I should probably cull the bird because this bird will always be a carrier. Well, I don't want to have to cull a perfectly good pullet if this is only a sinus infection. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. What should I do, GRRR? Cull now or what?

Kim

We have a Georgia Poultry Lab and they came out and tested mine for free.
Contact your local University, Veterinarian, or Poultry Lab and have your bird tested!

If she has clear drainage out of one nostril, my guess would be something stuck in her nostril. I don't know how to flush a nostril, but she does not sound sick to me, esp because the drainage is clear, and she is healthy otherwise, and it's only one nostril.

Back
Top Bottom