Birdwatching Chat Thread

Pics
20210207_200622.jpg
20210207_200652.jpg
20210207_200613.jpg

I saw this bird yesterday but I don't know what it is.

That's a Northern Flicker! I see them a lot around here. Looks to be the red-shafted variety. They are a type of woodpecker, but are very unique and prefer to eat ants off the ground than peck bugs out of trees. They are really cool, and your pictures are great too! I love the ones in flight!
Yup! That appears to be it! I haven't seen them before but have been hearing them lately! The reason I say that the pictures aren't good is because the camera can get much better quality! The birds are just so far away that I edit the picture to make the bird bigger. For example, this picture is the original of the first northern flicker picture in my last post. It was far away, this original pic was taken with my 300mm lense! Try to find the bird, lol!
DSC_1384.JPG

Yup! That appears to be it! I haven't seen them before but have been hearing them lately! The reason I say that the pictures aren't good is because the camera can get much better quality! The birds are just so far away that I edit the picture to make the bird bigger. For example, this picture is the original of the first northern flicker picture in my last post. It was far away, this original pic was taken with my 300mm lense! Try to find the bird, lol!
View attachment 2522411
For a zoomed in picture, that's very nice! Mine from that distance are often unrecognizable blobs. :lol:

If you want some birds up close, try chickadees. They are fast, but if you snap a lot of photos you are sure to end up with one or two good ones!

Also, thanks for the accidental reminder, I should bring the camera out birding with me tomorrow!

For a zoomed in picture, that's very nice! Mine from that distance are often unrecognizable blobs. :lol:

If you want some birds up close, try chickadees. They are fast, but if you snap a lot of photos you are sure to end up with one or two good ones!

Also, thanks for the accidental reminder, I should bring the camera out birding with me tomorrow!
Yes, you deffinitly should bring your camera! It adds a little more fun! :D The only possible downsides are that you have to carry it around and it makes you pay more attention to getting a picture than enjoying the moment.

These are some other pics from the last few days!

I see TONS of yellow rumped warblers all the time! This is probably the best picture I have of one, though. The camera refused to focus on it... one of those times I wish I knew how to use the manual focus mode!
20210207_200810.jpg

A robin! They're always so high in my trees that I can only get underneath them!
20210207_200838.jpg

Hairy Woodpecker. There were tons of woodpeckers out.
20210207_200734.jpg

Raven!
20210207_200313.jpg

Lesser goldfinch. The auto focus wouldn't cooperate again... but branches were in the way anyway so it wouldn't have been good. It was also pretty bright out.
DSC_1297.JPG

Geese!
20210207_200925.jpg

Yes, you deffinitly should bring your camera! It adds a little more fun! :D The only possible downsides are that you have to carry it around and it makes you pay more attention to getting a picture than enjoying the moment.

These are some other pics from the last few days!

I see TONS of yellow rumped warblers all the time! This is probably the best picture I have of one, though. The camera refused to focus on it... one of those times I wish I knew how to use the manual focus mode!
View attachment 2522416

A robin! They're always so high in my trees that I can only get underneath them!
View attachment 2522418

Hairy Woodpecker. There were tons of woodpeckers out.
View attachment 2522420

Raven!
View attachment 2522424

Lesser goldfinch. The auto focus wouldn't cooperate again... but branches were in the way anyway so it wouldn't have been good. It was also pretty bright out.
View attachment 2522425

Geese!
View attachment 2522434
Those are fun birds! Maybe I'll see a woodpecker other than flickers today (hint hint birdies....)!

@Beachcomber what have you seen recently?

Back
Top Bottom