Birdwatching Chat Thread

Pics
Great Blue Heron in Southern Michigan.
IMG_0489.JPG

I like catbirds and black capped chickadees the most. Could i share some stories?

first, i had a birdfeeder with seed in it, i had went underneath it and the birds would land on my head. that was fun.

we also had grey catbirds in the bushes, it was funny cause i thought it was a baby kitten, i had went in this thorn bush with thorns and pricks ALL over me when it was just a kitten sounding bird! But not just that, they were babies! I got to see them grow up which was very fun (i do have pictures of it which i can post if anyone is intrested :oops:

once when i was young a squrriel was in a bird feeder and i had poked its butt. worth it? :lau
Love your stories! I wish some birds would land on me! I'd love pictures!

I took a lengthy hike (lengthy for me) on Sunday, February 6th. I saw a lot of robins, there were well over 100 of them. I quit counting at 100 and there were more around me. It's uncommon to see them this early. They normally show up the first week of March.View attachment 2989086
Southern Michigan.
It's impressive that you keep track of when your birds arrive! Congratulations on the fun find! I love robins, they're so cheery and have beautiful songs!

I have noticed you're not contributing as much. I hope you're doing alright. I haven't done much birding-related stuff either lately. I haven't actually done "real" birding in a few months. :(
I haven't been birding very much recently either. But I'm starting to gear back in preparation for the Great Backyard Birdcount! February 18-21!
I've had a couple Pine Siskens hanging around my house recently. And today I saw some Yellow-Rumped Warblers!

The Cooper's hawk is about the size of a large crow. The sharp-shinned is the size of a large robin. The first is much more of a concern for chickens. Chickens are too big (except maybe a small bantam) for a sharp-shinned. The sharp-shinned has a squarish tail compared to the cooper's but that is hard to tell when they are sitting in a tree. The one pictured is an adult but I can't tell which because there is nothing to judge it's size. Both are quite common here and across the US and Southern Canada. I see them quite often although I do see more juvenile Copper's and adult sharp-shinned.
The branch it's sitting on is roughly two inches in diameter. Luckily, our chickens are in a fully enclosed run all of the time, due to large hawks and some bald eagles around here, so they're not at risk from the little hawks.
@horsegirlabi The second hummingbird looks like a Calliope Hummingbird to me.
The first... maybe Rufous or Allens? I'm in Idaho but I was in the Washington/Oregon area last May and saw some Rufous or Allens, I couldn't tell which.
It's more likely a Rufous, because they're very common around here. Allens are mostly in California, and they don't normally come this far north.

Back
Top Bottom