Bizarre egg- possibly a piece of intestine? Tail??

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
Can anyone help me figure out why one of my girls is laying like this? This is the SECOND egg like this in 2 weeks. Same hen as well. IMG-0531.jpg IMG-0532.jpg IMG-0534.jpg IMG-0535.jpg IMG-0536.jpg IMG-0537.jpg IMG-0537.jpg IMG-0538.jpg IMG-0541.jpg IMG-0540.jpg IMG-0539.jpg IMG-0544.jpg IMG-0545.jpg

One of my girls laid a single egg like this last fall, about two months after she started laying. Is yours new to laying? For mine, I changed the brand of oyster shell I provided and never saw an egg like that again (I don't know that the weird egg was related to calcium but I did realize this chicken wasn't eating the shell provided).

Do you still have the contents of this egg? At first I was thinking it's just some excess membrane that didn't quite end up where it should be, but a little concerned about the fleshy looking bit. If you do still have it, slice it open and see what it looks like inside - if it's similar to the membrane inside the egg, I wouldn't worry about it unless this becomes a regular thing. If it's thick, fleshy folds inside, then that could possibly be lash egg material.

One of my girls laid a single egg like this last fall, about two months after she started laying. Is yours new to laying? For mine, I changed the brand of oyster shell I provided and never saw an egg like that again (I don't know that the weird egg was related to calcium but I did realize this chicken wasn't eating the shell provided).
She is not new to laying, she is about 3.
Do you still have the contents of this egg? At first I was thinking it's just some excess membrane that didn't quite end up where it should be, but a little concerned about the fleshy looking bit. If you do still have it, slice it open and see what it looks like inside - if it's similar to the membrane inside the egg, I wouldn't worry about it unless this becomes a regular thing. If it's thick, fleshy folds inside, then that could possibly be lash egg material.
I don’t have the contents anymore but it didn’t really feel like the membrane inside the egg. it felt sort of like a piece of raw meat, if that makes sense.

I don’t have the contents anymore but it didn’t really feel like the membrane inside the egg. it felt sort of like a piece of raw meat, if that makes sense.
Hopefully it's a one off. IF you get anything similar in the future, do cut it open and look for layers of fleshy material. Best to take a photo so we can confirm your findings.

Well, one of my girls (Iris) passed away tonight. she was the one i suspected to have layed the funny egg. She had green poop this morning and was gone when i went to check on them this afternoon (5). Maybe it was an internal thing and this was the warning sign? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom