Black and white spots on chicken comb

Dragonwolfmastr

Songster
Nov 25, 2019
:frowHi there,

My gorgeous hen Rocky has some black and whitish spots on her comb.

I thought it was dirt at first, but I tried to wipe it off with my finger and it seems like it's stuck on there.
I also checked out some other articles like this, and they said it might be pecking scabs, but I'm not so sure.
Definitely doesn't match any pictures of dry pox or fowl pox I've seen.

1614633762615.png

Oh, and one more thing to note - Rainbow, our Colombian Wyandotte, has a few black spots on her comb similar to Rocky's, but they seem to be smaller and her comb is very plump and red (it recovered because we started giving them fresh water every other day). And our Plymouth Rock's comb is turning whitish on the tips. The issues don't seem to be as serious but I wanted to mention them in case they're connected.

So... any ideas? Thanks.

The bird pictured appears to have slight peck marks on her comb. White/yellowish comb tips can be an indication of mild frost bite.

Looks like someone is reestablish the pecking order. My BO were two weeks older then the Australorp and at the top for a while. They can get very aggressive with each other and usually result in bloody combs and missing feathers. After a week or two everything should be back to normal.

They should heal fine on their own.

It’ll heal just fine! Looks like normal pecking wounds to me

Looks like someone is reestablish the pecking order. My BO were two weeks older then the Australorp and at the top for a while. They can get very aggressive with each other and usually result in bloody combs and missing feathers. After a week or two everything should be back to normal.
Thanks all! That's really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom