1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp s/he at 17 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by glavstone, Aug 1, 2012.

1. glavstone

glavstone Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    [​IMG]
    16 1/2 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Chicken Butt
    [​IMG]
    standing in the crowd ( same age ameraucana rooster on the left)
    [​IMG]
    17 weeks

This yet unnamed chicken is looking awfully roostery to me, but I've never had chickens before. The chicken had a nonexistent comb and waddle until 14 weeks then it really took off. It is very talkative but no crowing. It hangs with the other two suspected hens and spends a lot of time eating, but I have seen it raise its neck feathers. The rooster has also dropped one wing and kind of danced at this chicken once or twice too. What do the experts say?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    You have a rooster.

3. glavstone

Aug 1, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    shast!

4. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I don't see anything that remotely looks roostery. The comb on females starts developing at that age. She looks very close to laying judging by how red and full her comb and wattles are. Get a nest box ready. :) Oh and the behaviors you mention are all normal posturing as they work on pecking order.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Maybe it's the picture to me but the tail looks to long for a female .Thats what i was going on.

6. glavstone

Aug 1, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    hope!

7. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    100% pullet...there are no hackle or saddle feathers even starting to come in..and plus he body shape just looks like a pullet...it wont be too much longer before she starts to lay maybe a couple more weeks at the most.

1 person likes this.
  8. glavstone

Aug 1, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Cool, that would be great to not end up with 2 roosters. I was just about to start planning chicken dinner.

9. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    She should be doing the egg squat by now, walk up to her tomorrow and scratch her shoulders between her wings. If she squats down with her wings out and stays still until you walk away you've got a little gal. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    I always pet my pullets on the back and out of 10 at point of laying and 2 that are laying only one squats when I rub her back...so I dont believe that method is 100% reliable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by