Black Australorp s/he at 17 weeks

glavstone

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN

16 1/2 weeks

Chicken Butt

standing in the crowd ( same age ameraucana rooster on the left)

17 weeks

This yet unnamed chicken is looking awfully roostery to me, but I've never had chickens before. The chicken had a nonexistent comb and waddle until 14 weeks then it really took off. It is very talkative but no crowing. It hangs with the other two suspected hens and spends a lot of time eating, but I have seen it raise its neck feathers. The rooster has also dropped one wing and kind of danced at this chicken once or twice too. What do the experts say?

Last edited:
I don't see anything that remotely looks roostery. The comb on females starts developing at that age. She looks very close to laying judging by how red and full her comb and wattles are. Get a nest box ready. :) Oh and the behaviors you mention are all normal posturing as they work on pecking order.

Last edited:
100% pullet...there are no hackle or saddle feathers even starting to come in..and plus he body shape just looks like a pullet...it wont be too much longer before she starts to lay maybe a couple more weeks at the most.

Last edited:
She should be doing the egg squat by now, walk up to her tomorrow and scratch her shoulders between her wings. If she squats down with her wings out and stays still until you walk away you've got a little gal. :)

She should be doing the egg squat by now, walk up to her tomorrow and scratch her shoulders between her wings. If she squats down with her wings out and stays still until you walk away you've got a little gal. :)
I always pet my pullets on the back and out of 10 at point of laying and 2 that are laying only one squats when I rub her back...so I dont believe that method is 100% reliable
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom