Help me confirm the gender of my six 14 week old chickens

klugyellow

Hatching
Jun 20, 2023
I'm a new chicken wrangler. About 14 weeks ago I bought the birds from a local farmer. He had a clutch of about 20 chicks I randomly grabbed 6. His advert claimed the birds were sexed and would likely be hens. It also said the father was a black copper maran and the mothers were barred rocks or an easter egger.

Each picture is annotated with a number I assigned them. I have my suspicions about the gender of each bird based on my research but I thought I would get second opinions from the experts since these aren't pure bred birds. I can't keep roosters so if they aren't hens then it may be a death sentence for them depending on who I can find to take them. I'm located in northern Utah in case anyone here wants some free roosters/cockerels.

Also for some added information number 3 and number 4 began to crow this week.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    998.1 KB · Views: 17
I appreciate the responses already. My assessment is that #6 is probably the only pullet. bad luck on my part selecting them.
The black one is the only pullet.
If they're barred rock x maran, the pullets would have lacked a head spot as chicks.

When i picked them out only two had white spots on the head. They grew out to be the barred rocks. The other 4 had black heads.

I appreciate the responses already. My assessment is that #6 is probably the only pullet. bad luck on my part selecting them.

When i picked them out only two had white spots on the head. They grew out to be the barred rocks. The other 4 had black heads.
The red rooster looks pure so now that I'm thinking about, I don't think it would have bee possibleto discern the sex via down color. I'm not sure the breeder had his pens secure or quite knew what he was doing.

I'm a new chicken wrangler. About 14 weeks ago I bought the birds from a local farmer. He had a clutch of about 20 chicks I randomly grabbed 6. His advert claimed the birds were sexed and would likely be hens. It also said the father was a black copper maran and the mothers were barred rocks or an easter egger.

Each picture is annotated with a number I assigned them. I have my suspicions about the gender of each bird based on my research but I thought I would get second opinions from the experts since these aren't pure bred birds. I can't keep roosters so if they aren't hens then it may be a death sentence for them depending on who I can find to take them. I'm located in northern Utah in case anyone here wants some free roosters/cockerels.

Also for some added information number 3 and number 4 began to crow this week.

Thanks!
Aside from the obvious rooster combs, wattles, and tails on birds 1-5, 1, 4, and 5 all have red wing patches, a distinct sign of roosters for EEs and EE mixes. IF you have any pullets, 6 is the only one, but the slightly longer curved feathers on his/her tail make me nervous. Could be a slower growing roo. I've had some pullets with curved tails at that age, so just keep an eye on it.

Sorry to hijack my own thread but I have another question. I'm going to have to rehome all but one of my birds. Is this one going to go insane being by itself for a couple months while new chicks are growing in a brooder?

Back
Top Bottom