Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Roo?

I have a question...I got 6 BCM's as chicks from a small breeder in PA. They are now about 17 weeks old. The cockerel's coloring and general coloration is coming in normally but only 1 of the 5 pullets has the copper around the neck. The rest are pretty much solid black, with a green sheen. I have a flock of Australorps and although they look similar, they do not look like my Australorps. Assuming they are BCM's, will the color come in on their necks or are these just a bad lot?

I have a question...I got 6 BCM's as chicks from a small breeder in PA. They are now about 17 weeks old. The cockerel's coloring and general coloration is coming in normally but only 1 of the 5 pullets has the copper around the neck. The rest are pretty much solid black, with a green sheen. I have a flock of Australorps and although they look similar, they do not look like my Australorps. Assuming they are BCM's, will the color come in on their necks or are these just a bad lot?

Not all BCM have full or much copper on the hens. I don't know how common it is to have a mostly black BCM hen in a quality breeder flock.

The BCM I bought this spring came from a little flock that laid very dark eggs, but one of the hens was mostly black. I suppose it depends on if you want BCM that conform the closest to SQ coloring, or dark eggs, or good laying.

I am sure you could get all qualities in BCM, but not for the money I wanted to pay. :)

Oh no, today I was handling my new roo and noticed he has some white in his wing feathers! Not noticeable when his wings are tucked and it's not solid white feathers.
I'm guessing it's that wheaten influence?
Do I need to worry about his hens (offspring) having that wheaten genetics in them when breeding even if they don't show any signs of it?

Looks like this boy will be the $25 dinner after all.
I've got lots of young cockerels that aren't from Wade Jean that I have higher hopes for and don't need useless roosters around.

Not all BCM have full or much copper on the hens. I don't know how common it is to have a mostly black BCM hen in a quality breeder flock.

The BCM I bought this spring came from a little flock that laid very dark eggs, but one of the hens was mostly black. I suppose it depends on if you want BCM that conform the closest to SQ coloring, or dark eggs, or good laying.

I am sure you could get all qualities in BCM, but not for the money I wanted to pay. :)

Thanks, that helps. I don't plan on showing them, I really just want the dark eggs. But now that I have them I wouldn't mind them looking like proper BCM's. again, I don't plan to show them or anything like that. If for no other reason, I want to make sure I can tell them apart from my Australorps!

Oh no, today I was handling my new roo and noticed he has some white in his wing feathers! Not noticeable when his wings are tucked and it's not solid white feathers.
I'm guessing it's that wheaten influence?
Do I need to worry about his hens (offspring) having that wheaten genetics in them when breeding even if they don't show any signs of it?

Looks like this boy will be the $25 dinner after all.
I've got lots of young cockerels that aren't from Wade Jean that I have higher hopes for and don't need useless roosters around.

How old is he again? I'm sure you've said I've just forgotten. If he hasn't gone through his final molt into his adult feathers those white wing feathers may still molt out?

Back
Top Bottom