Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote:
Yes, that's right. I thought that a page devoted to common faults that can be fixed with the right breeding would be super helpful. It would be a shame for someone to cull a bird for something that can be easily corrected with the right breeding practices. Essentially, help breeders decide what pairings to make to work toward the (proposed) SOP.

I've got 15 BCMs (that will be 6 weeks old tomorrow) that I was hoping to get some opinions on. I plan on keeping two cockerels and five pullets and I've got someone who wants a breeding trio. I'd love it if you guys could look at some pics tomorrow and help me pick out three that will be a good start for her. I don't want to send her anything she won't be able to use as good breeding stock. Most of them look really good, but a couple of the Davis girls have dark brown eyes..which according to what I've read here means they're over-melanised and the eyes will stay dark. But, I can cross them with a cockerel that's a little too coppery, right?

Oooh, I can't wait to see that project- one page with all of the common faults. I would also like to see writing on the picture with arrows and stuff for dummies like me.

You know what else I'd love to see? A photo list with pullets and cockerels at various ages from day old to 6 months or so. It'd be really nice for those obsessing over gender in chicks.

Princesschicken: I think till the end of time we will have to obsess over gender... They are just that cryptic sometimes...I think that is just a breed hazard.

Does anyone have any recommendations to improve egg color quality. My BC hens started off laying hard, shiny and very dark eggs. Now the eggs are still dark, but the dark brown wipes off much easier than before and there is no longer a shine to them, they are almost dull looking. I feed nutrena layer pellets and oyster shells. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Quote:
Yes, that's right. I thought that a page devoted to common faults that can be fixed with the right breeding would be super helpful. It would be a shame for someone to cull a bird for something that can be easily corrected with the right breeding practices. Essentially, help breeders decide what pairings to make to work toward the (proposed) SOP.

I've got 15 BCMs (that will be 6 weeks old tomorrow) that I was hoping to get some opinions on. I plan on keeping two cockerels and five pullets and I've got someone who wants a breeding trio. I'd love it if you guys could look at some pics tomorrow and help me pick out three that will be a good start for her. I don't want to send her anything she won't be able to use as good breeding stock. Most of them look really good, but a couple of the Davis girls have dark brown eyes..which according to what I've read here means they're over-melanised and the eyes will stay dark. But, I can cross them with a cockerel that's a little too coppery, right?

I'm not too sure about the dark eyes having to do with overly melanized birds. All of my BCMs, save for one roo, are over melanized. All have really nice "pumpkin ornage" eye color. Now I do have a light blue chick with dark eyes. She is just over 7 weeks, and they seem to be lightening up somewhat, but I've never had a chick with such a dark eye at any age here.
hu.gif

I have had chicks with both very dark eyes or greenish light eyes and they both ended up changing to orange. All of mine have good eye color except one roo, who of course, has the nicest tail set and is a little overly red which is perfect for my dark girls, nice comb and leg feathering BUT very light yellowish-orange eyes! Arrggg!!
I am gonna try using him anyways and see what happens.
Its always something. My favorite BCM boy, who came from my avatar egg, has a high set tail and nice or pretty good everything else. Maybe his back is a little short too but I just love seeing him running around in the yard lol. I guess this is what keeps us busy trying to improve what we have.

Too bad we can't all just send each other rooster semen like my plant cronies and I send each other pollen to improve our plants/lines LOL!

HELLO EVERYONE! Oh wow. So much information! I'm so happy this thread is here but I have so many questions and so many pages! Over 200! This post is gonna be long, and maybe these questions were answered along the thread somewhere but jeez, I just cant sit and read the entire thing with a farm full of animals to feed so I just had to just finally write my own post, I hope you all dont mind. I also included some pictures so you know why I have some of these questions.

I bought some BCM chicks 7 - 8 weeks ago for the purpose of selling those coveted dark eggs, but the more I thought about it I am really interested in breeding. You just cant find BCM in my area. If they are here, Breeders are hiding. (Let me know where you are if your out there! Central Kentucky) So I'm reading this thread as much as I can as each day allows in my spare time to learn all I can and each of your input is priceless. But I have so many ?'s, and Im confused as you would expect a newbie to be and I want to be informed before I go about this process.

1. Which would be my best bet to hatch - incubator or the old fashion way - a hen? I have two hens setting some eggs now, my first try - my Quail D-Anver insists on going broody so I thought I'd give her a try to see if she would be any account. And my Partridge Dark Brahma. If they are successful or any of my Marans are broody (I'm not sure about the breeds broodiness) then I have potential natural incubators).

2. I know, or have read, that a cockeral/pullet is determined by the temp in incubation, is this true? If so then this goes back to #1 ?.

3. I have 3 chicks now (I lost 3 due to unknown cause, I've heard they are a more fragile chick is this true?) and will be getting 2 more from my friend that bought from the same person which are pullets. I have 2 cockerals and will have 3 pullets. Is it best to buy eggs from a breeder and hatch my own to get established? I am assuming buying pullets from a breeder are ones that are culled for undesired traites?

4. How much is a good price for eggs from a breeder so I dont get taken.

5. Are color of Wheaten and Blue Maran eggs as dark as BCM and Cucoo (just curious
tongue.png
)

6. If roo has some flaws should I keep and breed only a perfect roo and keep just him always, or is ok to keep the roo with some imperfections and have hens that will balance him out? (I think I have the answer to this but want to make sure I am straight in this)

7. How much feathering on the feet/legs and where exactly outside of leg and toe or inside of toes as well?

8. What age should I begin to see the copper color show...if I dont at a certain age am I to expect none or very little? Mine are somewhere between 7 - 8 wks I believe and NO copper is present. I'm getting worried!
sad.png

9. How does a person go about getting eggs/birds from the french?

10. I havent seen where you grade eggs, is it just further in this thread and I havent gotten there yet in my reading?

11. Also is there a standard on the hens? I havent seen that either, everyone seems to focus on the Roo. But seems the Hen is just as important, or no?

12. I know someone who has a VERY successful and sought after line of birds (diff breed) that they use just from their own offspring - is this what others do, or should I intertwine other breeders? If I have offspring that I use from hatchings that I mix desirable trates with and produce good birds, then cull out undesirables then I am assuming this works with BCM as well?

13. Am I understanding the ROO determines egg color - keep that roo?

14. If leg color is dark in the beginning - will it stay dark or does it change as the young bird gets older?

15. When you order eggs to hatch - do you incubate at the normal 19 - 21 days - seems I read on here someone hatched theirs after sent only a week later?

OH I"M SO CONFUSED and with SO many questions I'm so sorry! I'm really not stupid!

Here are my pics!
Roo #1
56270_dsc09929.jpg

Wing coloring of Roo 1
56270_dsc09931.jpg

Roo 1 again
56270_dsc09932.jpg

Roo 2
56270_dsc09933.jpg

Leg comparison of Roo 1 and Roo 2 (roo 1 on left Roo 2 on Right
56270_dsc09934.jpg

Roo 1 and Roo 2 side view
56270_dsc09935.jpg

Roo 1 and roo 2 chest - Roo 1 is much bigger in size, weight and broader chest
56270_dsc09936.jpg

Roo 1 on right Roo 2 on left top view notice roo 1's tail feathers - so closely resembles a pullets and the comb is so much smaller than Roo 1
56270_dsc09937.jpg

Pullet on left and roo 1
56270_dsc09939.jpg

Pullet and roo 1
56270_dsc09940.jpg

Leg comparison of pullet and roo 1
56270_dsc09941.jpg

Side view of pullet and roo 1
56270_dsc09942.jpg

Top view of pullet and roo 1 roo 1 on left pullet on right
Roo 1 tail Roo 2 took off but is already getting that roo tail - I keep wondering about roo 1 I've raised over a 100 chicks and I've only been wrong 1 time about a cockeral and a chick - this one is feathering like a chick - but comb and waddles like a cockeral which I have always gone by, the one time I was wrong was a case just like this. I've heard BCM can be diff such as this case
56270_dsc09944.jpg

All three together
56270_dsc09947.jpg

What are your thoughts on these 3. The other 2 I'm getting ALL have copper in the neck, all came from the same person. Makes no sense.

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to jump and in critique your boy, but he got overlooked.
BEFORE I say anything, would you please tell me how old is he ? ?

I got him at 4 weeks old at the FL stock over near well west of here... was that last year?

I posted chick pictures and you I'd him right away as a boy... I wish I could eaisly find the post... lemme try.

((Florida Sunshine Classic, Jan. 8-9, Lake City, FL. Fairgrounds))

So he's hatched in late nov, early dec - Lets make up a date, Dec 4th -ish...

He is 5 months old?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5446788#p5446788

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom