Black Copper Marans "pullets"?

LaurenM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 13, 2012
My two 11.5 week old BCM "pullets" have always made me nervous - they have always had much bigger combs/wattles than my two Blue Splash Marans which are obvious pullets (and 4 weeks older). I know in a few weeks time I will see saddle/hackle feathers but would like to know if anyone has any educated guesses at this time on whether they are pullets or cockerels?

They were vent sexed as pullets and yes they are just HQ

(I do have a very obvious EE cockerel that I was certain of as early as 4 weeks... He was also supposed to be a pullet :/ so now I worry there are other errors)

BCM #1 11.5 weeks old - always had more upright stance/presence

BCM #2 also 11.5 weeks old

Last edited:
Some breeds do have large combs naturally and ybrids develop much quicker than pure breeds so its probably just that the hybrids have grown their combs quicker. Also I can see on the pictures that she does not have the upright proud stance of a cockeral so nothng t worry about.

Great thanks! These two aren't hybrids - they are just poor quality Marans, hopefully just with bigger combs.

My EE is for sure a roo, he's a crower and has male coloration had a bright red comb with three rows of peas very early. Hopefully he's my only sexing error out of the group.

Last edited:
Great thanks! These two aren't hybrids - they are just poor quality Marans, hopefully just with bigger combs.
My EE is for sure a roo, he's a crower and has male coloration had a bright red comb with three rows of peas very early. Hopefully he's my only sexing error out of the group.
If they are poor quality then the chances are its going to have other breeds in it somewhere so it will still mature quicker. I dont really care about the quality of the birds when they lay a decent amount of eggs, theyare healthy and look nice like yours. They look really healthy.

That's what worries me... I'll keep my fingers crossed and repost when they're older!

Back
Top Bottom