Black Copper Marans "pullets"?

this is what someone told me i've never tested it before so it might be wrong but then again it could be true.look at the wing feathers, a roosters feathers are most always more uniform in length and a hen will have less uniform feathers like one might be a slightly different lenght to the one next to it again i don't know if this will work or not but it is worth a try next chance i get i'll be trying it myself

this is what someone told me i've never tested it before so it might be wrong but then again it could be true.look at the wing feathers, a roosters feathers are most always more uniform in length and a hen will have less uniform feathers like one might be a slightly different lenght to the one next to it again i don't know if this will work or not but it is worth a try next chance i get i'll be trying it myself
thats wing sexing at hatch they are way to old to even try wing sexing and that is a sex link thing as well and only a few breeds are breed to be feather sexed i have tried it and it has turned out false on my bantam breeds

Here is a pic of my 14 week old BCM for comparison! (and a pic of the roos from earlier last month)

Thank you, yes, that is what my splash girls look like as far as comb development. My black coppers had bigger combs as three day olds :/

Im not sure if youre birds are the age u think they are. They look like hens. Even a cock at 11 weeks old wont.have a comb that siz. Yours also have hen feathering and colours

I wish that was the case but I bought them as chicks, I double checked my calendar - they were hatched October 15th, so they are 11 weeks and three days. There is no way they are older...I agree that their combs are big, they have been since the beginning. I hope it's due to being hatchery stock (and not that they are cockerels like I suspect). I just want egg layers so their quality doesn't concern me, but if they're Roos they obviously won't lay too well :)

Last edited:
I'll try and snap some more this afternoon but I don't think I'll be able to capture anything additional that will help sex them until they are old enough to start growing their hackle/saddle feathers. I guess it's the waiting game for now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom