Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenguysmom, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    I think you have that right. Sorry.

2. shanji

shanji Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    How do you know gender from those pics? I obviously have so much more to learn!

3. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Yup they both started laying on the exact same day at 25 weeks. Both of their eggs are the same darkness probably a 4 or 5 on the marans scale. Here's some pics of the eggs. The smaller dark ones are theirs and the others are from my older hens of different breeds as a comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. shanji

shanji Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    That's awesome! Thank you Gapey!!

5. JulesChicks

JulesChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi @gapey any chance Molly is a Marans/Welsummer cross? I just bought 5 chicks that will be 5 weeks old this weekend and 2 of them are crosses. The lady has mostly Marans but has one Welsummer and set her eggs too thinking they were Marans. I went for the Black Copper/Blue Copper Marans chicks but was so impressed with the sweetness of the crosses that I took two of them home. I bought 4 pullets (we thought) and 1 splash cockerel. 2 of the pullets are the crosses (no feathered legs) and 2 she thought were BCM pullets. The BCM have the mossiness described above and now after reading this thread I'm concerned. The lady I got them from said it was a desirable trait and that they should lay a dark egg and the coppery tones on their backs would grow out to be black. Time will tell I guess. I am also suspecting that one of the BCM pullets may be a cockerel as he/she has all of a sudden developed little wattles and a slightly bigger comb. I guess this is why they like to sell Marans straight run! I'm hoping my splash cockerel turns out to be a nice roo without any major flaws as I'd like to hatch out some Blue Copper Marans next year.

1 person likes this.
  6. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA

1 person likes this.
  7. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    They look like blue copper and blue splash marans and the darker one is a cockerel.

8. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Bah, double post. And how did I miss that this was an old thread?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  9. CockFarmer

CockFarmer New Egg

May 7, 2015
    Tx
    Hey guys new too the site. I was wondering if yall would take a guess at what sex these week old chicks are? Roo or pullet? They're a cross between a LP Roo/cuckoo maran hen.

My guess,pullet.
    [​IMG]
    I'm 60/40 Roo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking 55/45 pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    How old are they....my guess the first one pullet. the other 2 roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by