Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenguysmom, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Well, watching your progression has helped me identify that I don't have a Marans hen, but that I do have a Langshan hen. I knew it was one or the other, but my Langshan carries her tail completely different from your Marans. I have two other Marans about the same age as yours, but they are both cockerels. I will stay subscribed to the thread and would love to see how Molly finishes feathering out. Standard or not, her feathers are just beautiful!

1 person likes this.
  2. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Miss Molly Wishes you a Happy Thanksgiving. She's 9 weeks old today! Just noticed today she's got a little blueish/green in those tail feathers.
    [​IMG]

3. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    I decided to do a 10 week old pic outside in their natural habitat. They successfully survived below freezing temps without any supplemental heat. yay! Mary's feathers are showing more blue/green highlights.

[​IMG]

EvansMeXo likes this.
  4. armytanker4life

armytanker4life New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    Childersburg, AL
    I know I am getting in on this late, but I just hatched 3 BCMs 2 weeks ago to the day. Any guesses on pullet or roo? If I am right by going off of their comb I have 2 pullets and a roo.[​IMG]
    This is the suspected roo
    [​IMG]
    A pullet?
    [​IMG]
    The 2nd pullet?

5. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    It's kind of hard to tell that early. You may be right but my pullets combs seemed pretty big at 2 weeks (see page 6).

6. armytanker4life

armytanker4life New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    Childersburg, AL
    Yeah, I can tell how it's so hard lol. I'm going to hatch off another 12 I think to make sure I get a decent amount of pullets.

7. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    I just noticed today at 12.5 weeks that Mary's wattles are starting to come in. Molly's haven't yet. Was trying to find at what age they normally come in but didn't have much luck and it's really dependent on the breed.

[​IMG]

8. dxthai

dxthai New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    Sa Kaeo, Thailand
    Hi guys, I have 2 BCM chicks at 5 weeks old. I am really having a hard time trying to work out if they are cocks or pullets. Chick 1 grew tail very quickly but isn't as big. Chick 2 is like a little football! very round in shape and feet feather more quickly. Tail feathers still seem to be slow in coming. I look forward to hearing what you think of these two. Thanks

Chick #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. quackydoodle

quackydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    Love the progression pics!

10. moms3cuties

moms3cuties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Mesa Az
    ....I vote is for 2 pullets which is another way of saying hens, that are not yet laying! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by