Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics
This is probably the last of these types of portrait shots I'll do of these two. I dunno maybe I'll do another one when they are full grown but they aren't changing much from week to week now. This week Mary's comb and face seem to be a darker shade of pink. Not sure if that's normal or not. Molly's is still a light pink. My BCM's are much easier to handle than my Easter Eggers of the same age. Which is the opposite of when they were younger. Molly continues to be my best model in front of the camera. They will be taken to their outside home this week and out of the garage. Hope they enjoy the great outdoors.

Well, watching your progression has helped me identify that I don't have a Marans hen, but that I do have a Langshan hen. I knew it was one or the other, but my Langshan carries her tail completely different from your Marans. I have two other Marans about the same age as yours, but they are both cockerels. I will stay subscribed to the thread and would love to see how Molly finishes feathering out. Standard or not, her feathers are just beautiful!

I decided to do a 10 week old pic outside in their natural habitat. They successfully survived below freezing temps without any supplemental heat. yay! Mary's feathers are showing more blue/green highlights.

I know I am getting in on this late, but I just hatched 3 BCMs 2 weeks ago to the day. Any guesses on pullet or roo? If I am right by going off of their comb I have 2 pullets and a roo.

This is the suspected roo

A pullet?

The 2nd pullet?

I know I am getting in on this late, but I just hatched 3 BCMs 2 weeks ago to the day. Any guesses on pullet or roo? If I am right by going off of their comb I have 2 pullets and a roo.
This is the suspected roo

A pullet?

The 2nd pullet?

It's kind of hard to tell that early. You may be right but my pullets combs seemed pretty big at 2 weeks (see page 6).

Hi guys, I have 2 BCM chicks at 5 weeks old. I am really having a hard time trying to work out if they are cocks or pullets. Chick 1 grew tail very quickly but isn't as big. Chick 2 is like a little football! very round in shape and feet feather more quickly. Tail feathers still seem to be slow in coming. I look forward to hearing what you think of these two. Thanks

Chick #1

Chick #2

Hi guys, I have 2 BCM chicks at 5 weeks old. I am really having a hard time trying to work out if they are cocks or pullets. Chick 1 grew tail very quickly but isn't as big. Chick 2 is like a little football! very round in shape and feet feather more quickly. Tail feathers still seem to be slow in coming. I look forward to hearing what you think of these two. Thanks Chick #1 Chick #2
....I vote is for 2 pullets which is another way of saying hens, that are not yet laying! :)

Back
Top Bottom