Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics
I have 5 BCM that are 3-4weeks old any tips on angles to photograph? One is HUGE compared to the others, two are tiny, all seem healthy.
This is the big one, angle probably isn't any good, but if anyone wants to venture a guess.

Here is the whole crew. You can see two of the other BCM are tiny by comparison, wasn't much size difference when I got them thursday before Memorial day.

Cute!

Try kneeling, moving in closer, and shooting at a straight across angle (not from above). Move in so we can see details.

Sometimes I like to make an easy little "studio" especially when tracking a lineage. If you put down a piece of washable cloth on a table near a well lit window, (I like to put two light towel covered boxes- one on each side so chicks can't run away and it will reflect light on the dark velvet fuzz.) A third box is put behind them under the cloth to remove backgrounds so the chick is the full subject. You should get some nice shots if you are very calm (don't let them get too nervous.).

A few days old pullet from the light-combed line.

A cockerel from the same line. Notice his comb is more prominent- stands taller and wider, even though he is just a few days old?

Sorry I haven't gotten pics, still trying to get the coop built and the lawn mower not acting right, and and and..........
Today I saw some behavior I believe to be roosterish from the two larger Marans, facing off, pecking at eachother a little then one jumped at the other.
The lighting in the garage they are in is just plain old bad, so I need to address lighting to get pics, probably will do as you said and set up a little studio the next rainy evening I can let the other projects slide.

CHICK 1 - BCM

Chick 2 - MF/L

Chick 3 BCM

Another view of Chick 3 - BCM

Chick 4 - BCM

Chick 5 - MF/L

Chick 6 - BCM

Chick 7 - BCM

Another view of Chick 7

Chick 8 - Americauna

Another view of Chick 8

I had 8 chicks hatch last Sunday.
5 copper marans, 2 mille fleur/leghorn mix, and 1 americauna.

They were one week old yesterday.
I'd like some guesses as to whether I have pullets or Roos.
Sorry, some of the photos aren't straight on - they didn't want to look at me and I was afraid they'd jump off the table.
I'll try to do better next week.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone want to guess the gender of this maran? Just turned 3 weeks today.
I tried to take pics at diff angles. Comb is pink - not red. Wattles can be seen at the correct angle.

Personality - seems to be most outgoing (a male trait IMO.) Peeps like crazy when separated from the others.

Chick #1 Lou Lou
4 days old

I know I meant to come back with pics, and didn't. Too many irons in the fire. About 9 weeks old now, one was a little older when I got them so maybe one 10 weeks.
Today I saw two separate birds crow(first heard yesterday), one I managed to separate immediately. The second I think it was the one with the reddest ears was the best identifier this poultry novice could spot. That seem reasonable? I snagged the suspect with reddest ears after dark

Is redder ears a decent additional indication of rooster? All have decent comb and waddles and based on leg girth I think I might only have one BCM hen and even "she" has a fair bit thicker legs than the Cream Legbars I know are hens. I know different breeds are different, just the only hen baseline I can compare to.

I am sure by now many of you could tell gender, but I am a complete novice to keeping poultry.

Here are some updated pics of my Marans

Then (3 weeks)

NOW: 5 wks

My guess is male, so unless someone sees something hopeful, this little buy will be given away.

Chick #1 Lou Lou
4 days old

.. boy imo

Chick #3 Lenny
3 days old

... girl/pullet again imo
I know I meant to come back with pics, and didn't.  Too many irons in the fire.  About 9 weeks old now, one was a little older when I got them so maybe one 10 weeks.
Today I saw two separate birds crow(first heard yesterday), one I managed to separate immediately.  The second I think it was the one with the reddest ears was the best identifier this poultry novice could spot.  That seem reasonable?  I snagged the suspect with reddest ears after dark

Is redder ears a decent additional indication of rooster?  All have decent comb and waddles and based on leg girth I think I might only have one BCM hen and even "she" has a fair bit thicker legs than the Cream Legbars I know are hens.  I know different breeds are different, just the only hen baseline I can compare to.

I am sure by now many of you could tell gender, but I am a complete novice to keeping poultry.

Large comb and large waddles Very bright red Combs, And hackle feathers that are pointy around the neck And crowing For me equals a rooster, correct name is a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom