Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics
I have a couple of BC Marans chicks, 5 weeks old or thereabouts. One (#1) is starting to get hints of copper in the hackles and on the wings, not sure if this is a cockerel trait. This was the first to feather up too. There is a tiny hint of wattles too.

Bird #1

Bird #1

Bird #1

Bird #2

Bird #2

Bird #2

Last edited:
I have a couple of BC Marans chicks, 5 weeks old or thereabouts. One (#1) is starting to get hints of copper in the hackles and on the wings, not sure if this is a cockerel trait. This was the first to feather up too. There is a tiny hint of wattles too. Bird #1 Bird #1 Bird #1 Bird #2 Bird #2 Bird #2
I like to look at the front of their comb as well as a side view, So I would say Number one is probably a roo And I think possibly number 2 is also roo. Combs this early are usually cockerels. See if you can get a front Picture Looking straight on, for bird number one And also for number 2.

Last edited:
I will do that and post later. I think that you are correct, the hackle feathers on no1 are quite shiny and thin and no 2 has a fuzzy patch just in front of its tail, as though that is where it will get sickle feathers. I do need a cockerel but I just hope that the next batch, who are only a week or so old are mainly pullets! Haha.

I have a couple of BC Marans chicks, 5 weeks old or thereabouts. One (#1) is starting to get hints of copper in the hackles and on the wings, not sure if this is a cockerel trait. This was the first to feather up too. There is a tiny hint of wattles too.

Bird #1

Bird #1

Bird #1

Bird #2

Bird #2

Bird #2

it is early to know. bird 1 might be a pullet. you should wait for at least 1 week more.

Thank you both, I did try to get some photos today but couldn't get any straight on shots, they just wouldn't stay still long enough. I could do with another set of hands!

I will wait another couple of weeks and then try to get more photos. I do hope that one is a pullet, but I have a horrible feeling that it isn't. :(

Bird #1

Bird #1

Bird #1

Bird #2

Bird #2

Bird #2

Hi,

Bird #1 is a pullet. Bird #2 looks like a cockerel to me at this time--, however, it possibly may be a pullet. Grow them out a bit more and repost.

Usually by this time, males are getting redder combs and wattles are much more developed. Notice this male (below) shows a short fringe in front of the tail. By the time it grew out to reach the rest of the feathers, you could see tiny copper saddle feathers coming in near the skin. Also, the shape of the male from above is more like a shield, and the females are softer, more like a heart. Top of the wings on males are often bald, or growing in red bow feathers at this time too (depending on if line has fast maturing feathers.).

This is a same age male from a fast feather maturing line.

Last edited:
When they were a week old, I thought that #1 was a pullet and #2 a cockerel. Now though I am starting to think that I might be unlucky and have two cockerels, so I do hope One Chick Two that you're right and I might have a girl in there! Time will tell...

When they were a week old, I thought that #1 was a pullet and #2 a cockerel. Now though I am starting to think that I might be unlucky and have two cockerels, so I do hope One Chick Two that you're right and I might have a girl in there! Time will tell...

Don't give up hope yet.
Unfortunately, some lines are less defined early between the sexes when they are youngsters, so the males and females may more or less will resemble each other. Other lines that have been more line bred toward early selection by breeder show a bit earlier.

This is one of our males from a different line close to this age. The males can be a bit angular and gangly when teens, but then plumps out. The females have softer edges, and show more tail feathering earlier when young.Typically, the males have no back feathering or upper wing bow feathers like this boy at first.

Last edited:
Could someone please tell me if all BCM's have feathered feet? I have to get enough posts to post pics, but I have 2 that I don't know what breed they are. They look similar to these. I also have some that I don't know if they are M or F. Also, how to tell the difference in chicks such as white Cochins? Where should I post this? Thanks, Sheatina

Could someone please tell me if all BCM's have feathered feet? I have to get enough posts to post pics, but I have 2 that I don't know what breed they are. They look similar to these. I also have some that I don't know if they are M or F. Also, how to tell the difference in chicks such as white Cochins? Where should I post this? Thanks, Sheatina

some BCM don't have feathered feet.

Back
Top Bottom