Black crested White Polish

Pics
Yep! If all goes well, the 6 will hatch the 23rd or 24th. I intend to continue hatching from here on out though. Florida winter isn't too bad. I expect to have to keep the BCW chicks inside for a little while though. My adults were not cold-resistant at all when I got them, and I factor that into part of the reason I lost the chicks I did.
I am working on BCW polish. Where are you located? I've posted before.

I am working on BCW polish. Where are you located? I've posted before.
I’m in Florida.

😕 Most of the older threads seemed inactive, as well as the people who were on them, so I figured I’d just make a new one.

You worked on them during the recognition of the variety? How has it been getting back into the birds? I’d love to hear your experiences on breeding them and working towards recognition.

Well I'm very disappointed in the progress of them. Apparently the Polish breeders didn't accept them. To truly improve a variety they must be bred in large numbers by several breeders. I shared my info on what to look for and genes I thought were lacking, but it didn't result in progress.

Well I'm very disappointed in the progress of them. Apparently the Polish breeders didn't accept them. To truly improve a variety they must be bred in large numbers by several breeders. I shared my info on what to look for and genes I thought were lacking, but it didn't result in progress.
Yeah, the situation at hand isn’t too good with BCW. Ideal’s stock just kept getting worse before They fully discontinued them; I figure I’m lucky for out of 11 to have 2 with semi-proper coloring. A lot of Facebook breeders have adamantly suggested against getting into them. I haven’t seen many other breeders as well.

If you don’t mind me asking, what were your thoughts on what to look for in breeding?

The situation is sad. Simply stated we have the genes to create BCW. Problem is these genes are not all in the birds from Ideal. Their birds were crossed with Spitzhauben and not properly controlled after the cross. So the bird we got from them don't have Polish type. They do have the genes to help create black crest. But there are missing genes and several genes that need to be eliminated.

I have decided to start over. I crossed mine with silver laced polish this year. I also crossed with buff Orpingtons. I know that seems like a mistake, but we need a wheaten gene and the only Polish I ever saw with it were the ones I created 30 years ago. Apparently those that got them from me didn't succeed.

I have decided to start over. I crossed mine with silver laced polish this year. I also crossed with buff Orpingtons. I know that seems like a mistake, but we need a wheaten gene and the only Polish I ever saw with it were the ones I created 30 years ago. Apparently those that got them from me didn't succeed.
Hopefully you see good results from those crosses. Do you have any photos of your birds?

Do you have any recommendations for what to select for when breeding? I figure you’ve got a lot of experience with this variety.

Back
Top Bottom