Black material out of a quail

Efatoon

Hatching
Dec 25, 2023
Hi,
I have a quail hen & she’s been having hard time since winter started, first she refused to eat & drink at all , but treating with antibiotics came back to normal.
Lately she’s been smelling so bad & today it kind of exploded, she was stuck in black material coming out of her body.
It was disgusting, I cleaned her & saw a wound underneath, I’m attaching a picture.
I don’t know what’s going on & I need urgent help!

Attachments

• IMG_2008.png
    IMG_2008.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 76
No she couldn’t be bitten cause we keep her in house in a cage & she has recently become very unwell. She hasn’t laid an egg in a while. Recently started not eating as much and has lost weight. Her crop also seems to be full and she drinking a lot. Her poo isn’t normal.She’s been giving a very bad odor & today the material smelled so bad.
Sorry I couldn’t add video, I’m attaching pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2009.jpeg
    IMG_2009.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 25
No she couldn’t be bitten cause we keep her in house in a cage & she has recently become very unwell. She hasn’t laid an egg in a while. Recently started not eating as much and has lost weight. Her crop also seems to be full and she drinking a lot. Her poo isn’t normal.She’s been giving a very bad odor & today the material smelled so bad.
Sorry I couldn’t add video, I’m attaching pictures below.
Thanks for posting more pictures but I can't really tell. I don't see any injury on the flesh, just waste on her feathers. Can you check her skin under the feathers to see? This could also be coccidia poop on her feathers - sometimes it appears as reddish flesh, sometimes as black watery poop. Google images of how to identify chicken poop diseases.

Try the Corid (maybe also some probiotics) for a few days and see how that goes.

Thank you for reaching out. This waste seems to come from her upper body part. I see a hole & there’s flesh like thing popping out.

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 23
Thank you for your help, this is a separate hole & seems like she is rotting. I can’t possibly see a vet, each in range is closed for Holidays.

Thank you for your help, this is a separate hole & seems like she is rotting. I can’t possibly see a vet, each in range is closed for Holidays.
Well I guess the best you can do now is clean it gently, spray it thoroughly with iodine, put some neosporin on it, cover her with some sterile gauze and adhesive wrap, and see if you can get some penicillin from a neighbor with livestock, give her 1/4 cc orally for 7-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom