Black Mottled Ancona-Red Leghorn Cross

Also the one I feared was rumpless actually started growing her tail...she had nothing back there whilst her sisters had a good quarter inch of feathers coming out ...I don't know if she is just genetically slow to grow but she seems to be the same size as the other ones so we'll see.. the jury still out on that one.When they're old enough I'll introduce them into the general population and then we'll break them off into pens.

Murray mcMurray. She arrived April 7th
Damn.
Failure to thrive?
When we got our brown Leghorns from Murray last year I swear out of the three roosters I received one was just out of control growing this pipsqueek started as just another chick in the bunch,then just took off and wasn't waiting for his brothers.He became the shot caller in the enclosure before his brothers figured they were roosters too.:lol:

I think more experienced people like
@The Moonshiner can elaborate on this situation.

It's funny because my wife and I were looking at them last night and we noticed these Red's development was quicker than we remembered with our other batch.

I have read that some breeders introduce outside blood to their lines to offset diminished returns from line and in breeding,intense breeding stress,and recovery.Dullards and smallish animals start to come up.It happens with dogs.

I'm not sure if it applies as well to hatcheries.
@The Moonshiner what say you?

Last edited:
Damn.
Failure to thrive?
When we got our brown Leghorns from Murray last year I swear out of the three roosters I received one was just out of control growing this pipsqueek started as just another chick in the bunch,then just took off and wasn't waiting for his brothers.He became the shot caller in the encloser before his brothers figured they were roosters too.:lol:

I think more experienced people like
@The Moonshiner can elaborate on this situation.

It's funny because my wife and I were looking at them last night and we noticed these Red's development was quicker than we remembered with our other batch.

I have read that some breeders introduce outside blood to their lines to offset diminished returns from line and in breeding,intense breeding stress,and recovery.Dullards and smallish animals start to come up.It happens with dogs.

I'm not sure if it applies as well to hatcheries.
@The Moonshiner what say you?
It's possible. I ordered 3 and this girl was the only one to make it past 48 hours

Back
Top Bottom