Black Olive Egger cockerel? 8 weeks old with photos.

Pullet or cockerel?

• Total voters

LULA Pottery

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2019
I think I may have gotten this kid's gender figured out but would love some opinions. This chick is almost 8 weeks old and comes from watered down Marans hen parentage with an Olive Egger roo father. The last photo is the sort of cockerel I think it's going to be. -Thank you.

IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5817.JPG
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5812.JPG
IMG_5796.JPG
IMG_5840.PNG

I am leaning pullet, because I am not seeing any curling tail feathers or a superior red comb, but this one may be too young to tell for sure.

Thank you.
I thought there was something about the yellow breaking out on the shoulders that was supposed to indicate male.

At 8 weeks, it wouldn't have curling male feathers. That doesn't happen until at least 12 weeks.
There's almost no color on that comb, even if it is largish. I'm leaning pullet at this point.

At 8 weeks, it wouldn't have curling male feathers. That doesn't happen until at least 12 weeks.
There's almost no color on that comb, even if it is largish. I'm leaning pullet at this point.
Thank young for your input. I've had others suggest the three rows of peas are a cockerel trait. Is that reliable at all?

Thank young for your input. I've had others suggest the three rows of peas are a cockerel trait. Is that reliable at all?

personally, I can't say it is. A couple of my brahmas had three rows, and lay eggs. My sister currently has an EE I'm watching with 3 rows. There's no color on her chick's comb, but its wider than your chick's as well. We'll see, on both of these chicks. :)

personally, I can't say it is. A couple of my brahmas had three rows, and lay eggs. My sister currently has an EE I'm watching with 3 rows. There's no color on her chick's comb, but its wider than your chick's as well. We'll see, on both of these chicks. :)
Interesting. Yes, we will : )

I think I may have gotten this kid's gender figured out but would love some opinions. This chick is almost 8 weeks old and comes from watered down Marans hen parentage with an Olive Egger roo father. The last photo is the sort of cockerel I think it's going to be. -Thank you.]

Did this end up being a cockerel?

Back
Top Bottom