Black or Blue Silkies

ninena102

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
I am having a terrible time trying to figure out if my dark colored chicks are blue or black Silkies. Can you please tell me what you think? Thanks so much.

Mine turned out to be black Silkies. I have 4 white and 4 black Silkies that are now 10 weeks old. They are doing great. I just got 15 more babies this past Friday. They are 4 days old. I got five each of the blues, splash, and buff. They also are doing fine. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

I think they're black. I got a mix of black blue and splash silkies and the blue ones look like this

Thank you so much.. So now, I don't have to rack my brains .lol .I want to get some different colored sikies, like the blue and splash and I think, a buff colored ones, but I can't find where I can purchase them this late. They are sold out at the places I've been googling. I guess I have to wait till next year.

I got mine from cackle, have you checked there? They're bantam silkies but that's what I wanted working with limited space. I got blue black and splash because I really like the colors of them and you can get each of those by just starting with blue. I was gonna just put a blue rooster over all the silkies and hatch out a big variety. :D

I found the site and ordered the colors I didn't have. I'm just concerned that I will get a bunch of roosters. All of them were straight runs.

For what its worth, sometimes its so hard to tell blue and black Silkies apart that the only way to know for certain is to breed them. I can't count the number of times that folks on here have searched high and low for a true black bird only to breed them and get blue chicks (if you breed 2 black Silkies together, none of the chicks will be blue). The hen in my avatar looked very similar to your dark chicks when she was little...

Back
Top Bottom