Black or Blue Silkies

Thank all of you for your input. I wonder what the percentage of females to males when ordering a straight run. I ordered 4 blues, 4 splash and 4 buff silkies.

I got four silkies in an assortment from Cackle last spring, 2 black and 2 buff. One of the black chicks died soon after arrival. The remaining three birds are all pullets. I'm sure some unlucky person ended up with more cockerels.

Yes a general rule of thumb is 50/50 being girls and boys, but we all know how well that works out.... I got really lucky and in 2 of the hatches I did (3 egg hatches) 5/6 hatched and only one, ONE, was a boy. He was also the sweetest, calmest boy I've ever had. He also had a really funny crow. It was more of a BWAAAAAAAAAAHA more than anything, sadly a raccoon got him one night. :/
I must've pleased the hatching dieties somehow to get lucky with such a good girl-boy ratio.

Gee....I actually ordered 5 of each: blue, buff, and splash......I guess if I get that many boys, I will give them away to my family....I hope for all girls. Or I guess I could just put out a sign.....Free roosters....I know I have to wait a few months in order to tell what I do have.....

http://www.accu-metrics.com/avian.php

I found a website that does DNA sexing for chicks. All they need is a sample of some of the chest feathers, and they have 99.99% accuracy apparently. It's $10 for 1-9 birds and like $20 for more than 9 birds + fees. Either way it's pretty cheap and you'd be able to tell the sex of your chickies and have time to find homes for the boys a lot sooner! It may be something to look into, at least :)

Mine turned out to be black Silkies. I have 4 white and 4 black Silkies that are now 10 weeks old. They are doing great. I just got 15 more babies this past Friday. They are 4 days old. I got five each of the blues, splash, and buff. They also are doing fine. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Back
Top Bottom