Black Specks on RIR comb. Why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowboyclayt, Jun 10, 2017.

1. I noticed some black specks on my RIR hens combs. I don't think they fight. I never notice it when I am outside and around them. What could it be?

Thanks!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Fowl Pox---Look it up.

3. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2017
    Please post a picture

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Photos will be helpful.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Minute black spots on a chicken's face or comb is likely mosquito bites. Becoming frightened and flying into the overhead wire, minor peck fights, bug bites and fowl pox are usually why chickens have black specks on their head gear. Do remember that mosquitoes spread fowl pox so keep your guard up against mosquitoes. Remember to vaccinate against fowl pox.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Thanks everybody! I looked up fowl pox and am pretty sure it is not that @chickengeorgeto, they are pretty minute so I think it is mosquitos. How do I guard against mosquitos? I don't vaccinate my chickens.

7. kat salamon

kat salamon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    3 out of 4 of my girls have these black marks. Is it peck marks? They are all laying now and get mad when "their" box is taken that they prefer. The one that doesn't have them is the dominant one. Thank you!

Attached Files:

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @kat salamon
    Your hen looks like she has Fowl Pox. It will usually resolve itself in several weeks, but you can apply some Iodine to the scabs to help them dry up.

Here's some additional reading for you:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

9. Onkachonk

Onkachonk Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    Hi all,
    I'm new to BYC (as well as owning chickens). I noticed some similar spots on my 8 wk old's comb today also. Her behavior is normal and she doesn't appear to feel sick. Does her comb also look like it may signs of fowl pox? I live in New Orleans, LA so mosquitos are a big problem here. Also, should she be separated from my other two pullets? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

10. kat salamon

kat salamon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by