Black Specks on RIR comb. Why?

Minute black spots on a chicken's face or comb is likely mosquito bites. Becoming frightened and flying into the overhead wire, minor peck fights, bug bites and fowl pox are usually why chickens have black specks on their head gear. Do remember that mosquitoes spread fowl pox so keep your guard up against mosquitoes. Remember to vaccinate against fowl pox.

3 out of 4 of my girls have these black marks. Is it peck marks? They are all laying now and get mad when "their" box is taken that they prefer. The one that doesn't have them is the dominant one. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20170622_092334158.jpg
    IMG_20170622_092334158.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 17
3 out of 4 of my girls have these black marks. Is it peck marks? They are all laying now and get mad when "their" box is taken that they prefer. The one that doesn't have them is the dominant one. Thank you!

Hi @kat salamon
Your hen looks like she has Fowl Pox. It will usually resolve itself in several weeks, but you can apply some Iodine to the scabs to help them dry up.

Here's some additional reading for you:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

Hi all,
I'm new to BYC (as well as owning chickens). I noticed some similar spots on my 8 wk old's comb today also. Her behavior is normal and she doesn't appear to feel sick. Does her comb also look like it may signs of fowl pox? I live in New Orleans, LA so mosquitos are a big problem here. Also, should she be separated from my other two pullets? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0551.PNG
    IMG_0551.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom