Black specs (not red blood spots) on yolk

HMSmith

Chirping
Mar 10, 2019
I have four, 9 month old Ancona ducks. They started laying in October. I have one duck that laid smaller eggs and then she stopped until last month. Her first egg last month was pretty small and the bloom was a dark charcoal color. When I cracked the egg, the yolk had black specs on it. She’s still laying and the bloom and shell is lighter grey and average size compared to my others. The eggs still have a black specs. They definitely are not the common blood spots that appear on fresh eggs. I read an article about black specs meaning she has worms. Especially since they free range all day and LOVE earthworms. I can’t seem to find the article again or any other article that mentions that this may be a sign of worms. Anyone help would be appreciated.

Look at this weird thing I found when I cracked open one of my Runner eggs
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG

Parasitic worms are not like earth worms, they live in the digestive tract, and usually can't be seen with the naked eye. A vet can do a fecal float and tell you if she has worms. You could just deworm and see if it goes away but the chemicals are bad for you and you cant eat the eggs for some time after dosing.

Back
Top Bottom