Black Stars vs. Red Stars

Dirty_South_Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Waco, TX
Can anybody tell me if the black stars lay as good as the red stars? I have read how the red stars will lay even when its winter while most hens will stop laying...but what about the black stars? I have a NHR rooster and a Barred hen so i'm set for the black stars. Thanks

I had 7 gold sex links (similar to Red Starts) and 4 black stars last winter and they both laid very well in all but the COLDEST weather. I am talking -15 and colder outside temps. I do not have a heat lamp or light for them either.

I have noticed that both breeds can be brats to other chickens, not all of them though. I now have 10 gold links and still the 4 black links and I have 2 gold and 1 black that are VERY naughty with certain other girls.

I have to echo what Karrie13 said - we had black stars last year that laid all through our Utah winter (5100 feet elevation). We only had a few dips down to below the teens degrees last year, and did have a light on for a couple of hours in the evenings, but they laid all winter. Also, they can be rather bossy with the other breeds, especially the more docile girls. We had SLWs and Australorps that were such sweeties, but the Black Stars were pretty aggressive when it came to hogging treats and their favorite spots on the roost. They're louder than our other breeds, too, and have a very unique egg clucking routine - one will cluck and crow loudly for about 15 minutes every time she lays.

They do not like being shut up in the coop all day, even when it was snowing (they'd go under the coop, which is elevated, so they have a 12 x 7 area that's free from snow and drafts). Last winter when we had snow on the ground, they spent most of their days in the covered portion of the run and under the coop.

We got a few Golden Comets this year, basically the red sex link, but they're not laying yet - should start any day now. I'm curious to see how well they'll do compared to the blacks. So far their personalities are not quite so loud or bossy.

I have a 5 year old Black Star and one that is just over 1 year old. The 5 year old lays an egg every day and takes 2 days off once every 2 weeks. She stops for a few days during moults, but that's it. She lays during various temps and weather conditions without fail. She's a true egg laying machine. My 1 year old lays for about 4 or 5 days straight, takes a day off and resumes laying in that manner. Both are very friendly and docile compared to my Red Stars whom can be a pain in the butt sometimes but are excellent layers.

Thanks for all the replies and welcome anymore! I like the look of the reds the best but dont have the hens need to get red stars...maybe look into buying some, any leads on a good place to order some?

I've had Red Stars and Black Stars as my main layers at different times--currently have May 30th hatched Black Star pullets due to start laying next month--both are about the same in regard to temperament and laying. I have no heat in my coop and temps get down below zero in the winter; both breeds laid like bandits the whole time. (I do give them 14 hrs of light in the winter.) I currently have one 6-yr old BS hen left from my last batch of chicks that has finally, after laying through about April of this year, quit. I'd recommend both breeds, the only reason I have the BS now is color; I think the black is better looking.

Note: I do have 4 comets/red sex links but that is a whole different story--see my BYC page.

My blacks started laying before my reds and haven't missed a day. My blacks also lay earlier in the day than my reds. One of my reds has moulted twice this summer and stopped laying both times. One black is nearly bald on top (randy roos) but she doesn't miss a day. (i.e. My blacks are prolific layers but I'm really not complaining about my reds)

I have 2 Red (Gold) Sex Links that are 1.5 yrs old and 4 Black Sex Links that are 6mos old. The RSL laid great all through the winter and I am expecting the same from the BSL. I have to agree with some other posters, the BSLs personalities leave much to be desired
roll.png
They are bossy, loud and peck at all the other girls ...The RSLs are very sweet and are one of my faves. I vote for the RSLs...as I'll be getting some more next year!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom